Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Eggs new home

Options
Retired RailRoader
Retired RailRoader Posts: 975
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Pic5.jpg
<p />After my dealer told me about my original table purchase I had to go and build my own. So after much thinking I decided that imitation is the sincerest of flattery. So with that said thank you Naked Whiz for all the table idaes on your web site. I worked on this the last few days and it is finally completed. My egg moved in and started to set up house right away. In fact I do believe that a party is in order. I think I need to get a couple of bottle openers as a house warming gift.[p]Pic1.jpg[p]
Pic2.jpg[p][p]
Pic3.jpg[p]
Pic4.jpg[p]
Pic6.jpg

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.

Comments

• Retired RailRoader,[p]What kind of wood is that ? And finish ?[p]LTLL

• Retired RailRoader,
    Very nice indeed. Is it redwood or???? Regular lumber or kiln dried???
    Did you get enough bracing as per the Whizzes recommendations??? LOL
    Bottle openers are a must.
    Thanks,
    Bordello
    aka New Bob

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    Wow that's beautiful! One thing you might consider is replacing the brick the egg is sitting on with the feet that came with the egg. I started with my egg sitting on a brick like yours, and ended up scorching the wood underneath (it only took a couple of cooks). You can see the scorch mark in my photo (chuckls) on the Whiz's table page.[p]BTW, the sheet metal is a good idea. I've got burn marks on my table where burning embers fell out of the vent.[p]Chuck

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    LippyTheLimpLip,
    The table is made from 5/4 cedar planking for the top shelf, bottom shelf and side pieces, cedar 2x4's for the bottom supports and cedar 4x4's for the uprights. I used a clear satin Helmsman Spar Urethane for a finish coat.

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    chuckls,
    I addition to the brick the egg is also on the feet that it came with.

• Retired RailRoader,[p]With a little bit of imagination your table could
    represent a replica of a steam engine locomotive
    with the BGE as the smoke funnel !

• RabbleRouser
    Options
    Patrick in GA,
    And it's built like a railroad bridge of old. He must have some fine tools.

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    Retired Railroader,[p]Oh, I see them now. You, sir, are definitely on top of this![p]Happy Eggin'
    Chuck

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    That is a really nice job my friend. I'm sure you will get flattered yourself from more than a few folks after seeing this nice job.

• Dr_Redwine
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    Very, very nice. Where did you get the cedar?
    DrR

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Dr_Redwine,
    All materual was purchased from a local Home Depot. They had a slightly better price on the 5/4 cedar then Lowes.

• Fire in the Hole
    Options
    Durn fine table, sir.
  • PeterInSeattle
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,[p]I have just recently discovered the BGE forum and will be getting a BGE this spring.
    First, thank you for sharing your questions, and especially your pictures of your table. The information has been invaluable.

I too have embarked on building a table and like you it is of cedar. I purchased and cut the wood last weekend, but after seeing your pictures and revisiting the whiz's table tutorial, I have decided to resize some components, and -- more bracing!

A couple of questions:
    1. Did you use 2 1/2 inch deck screws throughout? Any glue?
    2. What are the load limits on the wheels you have?
    3. What is the measurement from the top of the lower shelf to the top of the top shelf?
    4. Was there a reason for Urethane vs. varnish? Any other considerations for a finish?
    5. Was any of your wood still slightly damp when you bought it, and if yes, was there anything special you did because of it?
    Thanks in advance.
    Peter

• Phil
    Phil Posts: 26
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    What a beautiful job you have done on your table. Even IT looks good enought to eat!
    -Phil

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Hi Peter,

First off let me by saying you will love the egg. I have always had a good gas grill like the Broilmaster G3 and now the Ducane. They can not hold a candle to the egg. Anyway let me get to your questions:

1. Did you use 2 1/2 inch deck screws throughout? Any glue? I used 2 1/2 tan deck screws on the top and bottom seck as well as on the side supports. I used 2" tan deck screws to secure the side supports and the underneath 2x4's. I also used an exterior wood glue in addition to the screws.

2. What are the load limits on the wheels you have? The wheels have a load rating of 150 lbs. each. I would have liked to get a higher rating but anything larger would have put the holes for the lag screws to close to the edge of the 4x4.

3. What is the measurement from the top of the lower shelf to the top of the top shelf?The distance fro the top of the bottom shelf to the top of the top shelf is 17 7/8 inches. This takes into accout the 2 1/4 pation block that I used and the height of the eggs legs. You have to take into account that the spring loaded hinge of the egg travels in a downward direction when opened. I left my self 1/4 clearence when the egg is opened to the top of the table.

4. Was there a reason for Urethane vs. varnish? Any other considerations for a finish? I used Helmsman Spar Urethane as I think that it will be more durable and last longer. The Spar Urethane also has UV protection so I am hoping that the cedar will not gray or discolor. I did look into linseed oil as some people have suggested and I was just not impressed with it.

5. Was any of your wood still slightly damp when you bought it, and if yes, was there anything special you did because of it. My Home depot keeps their wood indoors. I do not know if that is the case with yours. I did come across a few damp that got wet due to rain but I discarded them and only picked dry wood. Normally I would have waited a few days before finishing the table but the weather was on my side and I decided to put a first coat on just so that when I cook I will not stain the table with and sauces or meat drippings. I will resand the table in the Spring when the weather warms up again and put on a finish coat.

If you need any further pictures or have any questions regarding the table or the egg please feel free to write.