Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tasters etiquette at a fest

Options

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    But John you have a habit of getting little guys to run off bigger guys (really big guys :whistle: ) for table space :laugh: :laugh: but it does put the taster at the front of the line :laugh: B)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I will do really simple signs for you Al ;) meat, knife, cutting board and chopped fingers laying beside it :) LOL see you soon!!! and please do not flash me this year through the glass.... I have asked the organizers to move the T shirt vendor so Bree and I are safe from such atrocities!! I am still having nightmares over that :(
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Andy, the Hilton is only a couple blocks north of the Crowne. You can walk down the beach to get there.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    OMG! I think its societal. You said what I have wished I could say at every convention exhibit i've ever participated in. In my case its pens and coffee mug, not even close to all the time and money a cook invests but its been in my head for over 100 booths i've "manned" over the years. Go to the Fests, eat, drink, make new friends and bring your manners along.....at least until the after party :laugh: !
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Yeah, then at the afterparty, someone spills wine all over your foot!

Or if you are poor Egret, you will have your brand new fresh cocktail spilled all over the wonderful ham!

Staci, I wish you were coming to FL this year.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    Faith,, that's how it became maple "bourbon" ham :whistle:
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    And that was just to protect her from fellow eggheads!
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Excellent Jool!

I've been to a few fests and sometimes I'm amazed at the lack of basic manners.

That's well put together and to the point.

Rant away woman you're good at it!
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    Went to my first fest at OKC and set down some cooked bacon to make bacon burgers, and it started disappearing within seconds. Then I set down some pickles for the burgers and the kids started devouring the pickles!

Learned real quick to set up a prep table behind the serving table.

Also for cooks/tasters be careful moving hot stuff like cast iron skillets, grates and platesetters. Not all of the tasters have figured out not to touch that stuff! :woohoo:
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    I've only been to Seattle's fest and to Atlanta, but only noticed 'pushy' eaters in Atlanta. In Seattle people are very well-mannered. I think it's due to the sheer number of people in Atlanta. You have to be pushy to get to the good stuff there!

One thing I've done as a cook is to lay a clean dish towel across food that is not ready to be served. It may not deter all the determined ones, but it deters many. And I learned early on not to cut food directly in front of people who may thrust their hands in quickly to grab a bite.

Maybe there should be a 'taster's etiquette' board at the entrance to eggfests.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    I actually find it rather amusing that people are like this. At least they're enthusiastic! You can make a joke out of telling them to knock it off.

Some people are obnoxious, greedy, and annoying, but most are just enthusiastic and don't understand. A good swift slap at their hands with your spatula with a "Hellooooo, did I say this was ready for you to eat?" usually gets the point across. :lol:
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Wow. Good post. Amazing how peoples' manners can disappear when they are hungry. I think some of the biggest food snatchers are not following the forum though, but all Eggfest attendees should read what you wrote!

We made some shrimp skewers at a fest....Squeeze spent an hour cleaning, shelling, deveining. Beautiful 6 or 8 shrimps on a double skewer. Was pulling them off so I could get ready to serve and I turned around and they was gone. Entire skewers full. Never even got to tell them what rub was on it.

When yall come back north?
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    well said, Julie
    At my 1st fest in OKC, some guy snatched the "chocolate covered banana on a stick" from my turn in comp plate :unsure: :pinch:
    Car Wash Mike cursed at the man and he returned it :laugh:
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    all for free, of course ;)
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Me too Faith! Changes at work last year required a slightly different policy in the "fun category". The good news is, the outlook is looking better this year. I'll keep my eyes out for other opportunities to catch up with you.
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Anybody who thinks that was a rant has never been a cook at a fest.

I'd also add that it never hurts for a taster to keep a good plate (plastic or high quality paper) available along with that fork or spoon. I usually have something to serve on but more often than not, I run out.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Chris, people's hunger have nothing to do with their manners. Bad manners are bad manners and some people are just not appreciative!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I had a bunch of raw pork sates taken in Florida.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    some people are too inebriated to mind their manners. Not me, but some people.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Great post Julie. I am going to my first eggfest in May (taster) and I will definitely keep this in mind. I realize the cooks are donating time and money for the fest and I will definitely appreciate them!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    DON'T EVER cut tri-tip with a sharp knife in front of a hungry crowd. :S
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Amen, well said!!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Options
    Last year was our first fest ever, and of course as tasters. We're going to cook this year, and really looking forward to it.

While I was polite, I must confess that I ASSumed the cooks were paid. At the time, I had no idea cooks had to PAY to serve food to the tasters.

Perhaps it would be nice to share that bit of information with people some how?

Obviously the regular forum members and the seasoned Eggheads know the ropes, but there has to be a way to educate the noobs. I learned SO MUCH from that first Eggfest, and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. To anyone considering going--GO! It's so much fun, and so educational. Thank you again to all the cooks!
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I sneak in with a big cooler. They think I'm bring drinks. It's empty.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    I think your idea is the BEST thing in this thread! A sign with some basic rules of courtesy right at the entrance will do wonders for the thoughtless tasters. At least some of them!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Great POST! :) We went to Atlanta Eggtoberfest 2 years in a row.First as GREEN NEEWBIES, the next year as cooks.I saw what you are describing both times(At the fest).The Afterparty was the HiLight on both trips!All Eggheads. ;) You should send that post to the Mothership to put up where the banners are. :)
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    When you register for the eggfest, it usually says right on the registration form that cooks get in free because they are cooking and paying for their own ingredients.

At the smaller fests, if there are announcements, I'm assuming cooks are thanked and some mention is made of their contributions at that time. If not, it would be nice to suggest that to the organizers.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Sorry Alan, but the bacon thingy was prob my fault :( :sick:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap