Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bison Burger Recipie?

Options
n00b egger
n00b egger Posts: 3
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just kicked off my training wheels on my new BGE, and have cooked 3x on it!

My first attempt at baby back ribs was an abysmal failure. They should have been called baby back beef jerky they were so tough! Cedar plank salmon was excellent, but I had a heck of a time controlling the temp. Third try was applewood smoked turkey breast with maple glaze and it was a resounding success! I held the temp at a rock steady 350! B) I was REALLY proud of myself!

Now, I am ready to graduate to bison burgers, but I don't have a good recipie. Can anyone donate a tried but true method of making them?

PS: I'll post pix of the cooking process!

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I have found bison are not very picky eaters. However you make them they will be fine with it.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    n00b, In the small box right below "Egghead Forum" that has the words "search forum", type in bison or bison burgers and you'll come up with search results that you can peruse until you find what you're looking for.

Mark
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Don't overcook!

The main thing about bison meat is that it is very lean, and easily dried out. There are a few things that can be done to avoid a dry burger. Add a bit of butter to the meat, or mix some ground pork or beef into it. I sometimes mix ikn a little light red wine. The bison flavor is mild and sweet, and fruity wines seem to go well with it.

I usually top bison burgers with a mild cheese also, provolone for example.

I've read that one can also mix some gelatin in, but have not tried that.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    1122fb8b.jpg

Welcome to the Forum.....

Buffalo, Bison, whatever you call it.... there are a couple of ways to go. The first thing you will notice is that it is very lean and has a subtle flavor, not really gamy or anything.

DSC07628a.jpg

Hamburgers, hamburger patties or even meatloaf are all good. You want to keep the meat as moist as possible. One idea is to make the patties a little thicker than normal. I like to add some finely chopped onion and bell pepper or a few tablespoons of iced water or cold beer. I'm also very careful when it comes to doneness and I pull them off the cooker at 150° and rest a few minutes.

I use a small medium temperature fire (dome temp around 350° or 375° and usually very little flavor wood (if any at all). You will get some wood flavor from the lump alone.

It's easy to over season bison to the point that you loose the subtle flavor, so experiment and go light to start. I stay away from cheese as it hides the flavor. Some of the restaurants here will serve all buffalo (steaks and burgers) with a little dab of herb butter on it. Most of the bars keep the burgers simple, but will have jazzed up ketchup for the fries or will have home made onion rings or something.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    First ya gotta get some ground Bison meat.Then ya gotta make burger pattys outta them,then ya gotta cook em. :) JUST FUNNIN!! Welcome to the Forum! :)
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Someone told me to add an egg, bread crumbs and finely grated onion to bison meat before forming patty . . . any thoughts?

I might try adding 1 egg with fine grated onion . . . but skip bread crumbs and finish with light evoo and spice rub. Going low grid with few cherry chips (soaking now) and direct heat at 375F until internal temp 155 . . . I have a few hours before cook time so please critique!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    edited August 2011
    Options
    VERY TASTY . . . I threw them in freezer for 5 mins after making patty to keep shape but still got a little "sticking" to the grill, I forgot to add EVOO to burger/grill grate . . so I probably will next time.image
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    Options
    that was my first pic upload . . . why is it soooo jumbo?
    Columbus, OH