Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Do you know your knives?

AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
edited 3:13PM in EggHead Forum
Try this quiz, I got 100%, but it isn't very difficult. -RP

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,574
    88% here, can't tell the difference between boning and filet.

Caledon, ON

• AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    I almost went for boning too but the blade just looked too long. -RP
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,990
    im sticking with birds beak paring knife, i dont care whet the french call it :laugh:
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    That one threw me too but I knew it wasn't the other two. -RP
  • 100% here too, what's sad is I have every one of those knives except the curved paring knife.

• gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,776
    Likewise. Googling for Henckel's knives, it appears the only visual difference is a slightly long blade to hand ratio between the two. Otherwise visually very similar.
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    100% here, but I guessed on the first one.
    Average score 79%......
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I missed the first one.
    Happy Trails

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
    thats cause its a paring knife :laugh:
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    I missed two.

I called the tourne knife a paring knife

I called the mincing knife a chopping knife
  • EmandM'sDadEmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    That's the one i got wrong too. And i agree with you!
  • BobSBobS Posts: 2,485
    I got 100% -- sort of anyway.

I selected paring knife for the first one, but when I saw the second one was a paring knife too, I went back a page and corrected the first one.

Also, I guessed on the filet knife and got it right.

I have them all and then some.
  • I went with "boning" too.
    Even thought the blade looked long for a boning knife....It also looked too heavy to be a filet.
    OH WELL. It was fun.
  • bubba timbubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Name that Knife!

Score: 100% (8 out of 8)

The sad part is not that I knew the names, is that we have two minching and three or more of everything else.
    Now I now why LC wants a bigger kitchen!.. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit for BRISKET HELP
  • Cool test - 100% here
  • RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    Me neither. :unsure:
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,574
    But it's a tourne knife :laugh:

Caledon, ON

• Yah I got it by elimination. It's not whats normally called a paring knife. That surely don't mean I'm gonna remember what it's called the next time :unsure:.

• I got all of them right even though I had no idea what a tourne knife was.
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,942
    I got em all, though I have never heard of a tourne knife (and neither has my spellcheck). Also, I have no idea what a paring knife is good for. It is the most worthless knife in my collection.

If you’re afraid of butter, use cream.    Julia Child

Central Connecticut 

• PattyOPattyO Posts: 883
    Rada has that one, but calls it the Granny knife. I love it for peeling apples.
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    It's for cutting pairs of food. :blink:
    i use mine for cutting the cellophane on meat packaging :laugh: i got a big sharp cleaver from judy and im using that all the time, chicken, ribs, chopping baked sweet potatoes, you can really whack things with it, cuts thru a spare rib bone the long way :woohoo:
  • 100% cuz I'm lucky.
  • eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,392
    Missed the filet knife vs the boning knife. :(
  • 100% I guess I know my knives.