Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large or XLarge?

hammer28
hammer28 Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife gave me a green light to finally purchase the great Green Egg! :cheer: I'm wondering now if I should spend the extra money and get the Xlarge egg?? I have a family of 4 and generally grill for additional guest and or leftovers for the week. I will also be smoking a large turkey at lease once a year. Any thoughts?

Very proud to finally become part of the club B)

Comments

• outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    you will get a lot of different responses from large/small combo to the xl... for a family of four, the large will be fine.... later on down the road, you will purchase a small to go with it.... trust me, it will happen.... whatever you decide,,, you will be very happy with your purchase,, welcome

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    The age old question...
    For me, it had nothing to do with how many people I may or may not be cooking for. It's just me and my wife at home and I went with the XL and couldn't be happier. It all about horizontal space for me. In the end, it's simply personal preference.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    hammer28, Welcome to the forum. I have two large and lots of eggcessories. There is just the two of us with summertime cookouts with guests. Everything we get for one egg works in the other egg. That's my bias opinion. ;)
  • MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    Personally I would go with 2 different eggs vs. one XL. That way when entertaining or cooking for family you can have 2 different type so cooks going at once.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    count another vote for the large and small combo vs. the XL. There will be times when there is just no need to fire up an XL for burgers, ABTs, a couple splatcocked yard birds or many other items when a small would suit the task to perfection - plus with stacking racks you'll be surprised how much you can get in a large BGE. As for your once a year trurkey comment - I have egged a 24.5# turkey in my large...don't underestimate its flexibility!

Which ever you choose XL or L I betcha you'll be adding a small to it in the near future anyway! There are just plently of times you'll find the amount of grill "real estate" that an XL provides isn't needed and is a waste of lump.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    2Fategghead wrote:
    hammer28, Welcome to the forum. I have two large and lots of eggcessories. There is just the two of us with summertime cookouts with guests. Everything we get for one egg works in the other egg. That's my bias opinion. ;)

Wow Fategghead, are we twins? I started with a large and didn't make it a year before buying my second one. I, like you, like being able to share eggcessories between the two.

hammer28, the choice is yours, but count on a second BGE in the family. I was warned and it did happen. Looking to add a mini next. :)

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    i have an xl, I was weighing between l and xl. get what you feel best in your gut about. Yes, i am thinking of a small for the marina or tailgaing, and sometimes for that side dish.
    I dont think an XL will use any more lump than any other size for a quick cook of a couple of burgers, steaks or chicken. I may be wrong and often am, (according to wife), but if youever want a big party, and lots of space, get the biggest you can afford.

make the fire on one side of the grill and cook on the other. use the half moon raised grid with a half a baking stone, and you have all kind of versatility.

All of the answers you see here are correct, if you decide to get another one in the future, I would like an xl and a small, no medium, well, maybe two larges. Hmm that mini shure is cute. Can i just get one of each?
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• 2Fategghead
    Mini or a small or both I've got time. :woohoo:
  • laduckdog
    laduckdog Posts: 21
    We got the XL for family of 3 (Wife, Daughter, and me). I like having the extra room when we need and use a lump reducing ring so I don't burn anymore lump. When I cook, I load it up and vaccum seal the leftovers. My wife is a RN and works night so always having extras in the freezer works for us. Hope that helps. That said, we are looking at another egg - probably a medium.
  • I debated the same thing about a year ago. The original XL had a dome design that was more flat than the current design and I had heard it was hard to cook more than one standing bird at a time. When they came out with the new higher dome design I decided to go with the XL. I have not regretted the decision. I do think there is a general consensus on this forum will be for the large. I do understand now why folks end up purchasing an additional egg in a larger/smaller size. I have a family of 5 but also wanted to be able to cook for much larger groups when entertaining. When I fire it up to smoke a butt I just ask friends and family if they want me to throw one on for them too. I never fail to get enough takers to fill that sucker up. Good luck.
  • I have a Lg and also the XL. I can honestly tell you, I use my XL 75% of the time! My family consists of 2 adults and 2 small children. Sure, you can be creative and get a lot of food on the Lg, but in my opinion, unless you enjoy the challenge of cooking in layers the Xl is the way to go. The XL has a ton of surface area to cook on, which gives you extra room to work with. You can also cook in layers with the xl which gives you even more space. If I were to choose one it would definitely be the XL, hands down!!!!!
  • TheLazyC
    TheLazyC Posts: 97
    I as new as new can get, but I figured I rather have the space and not need it, then to need the extra space and not have it.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Just remember, it's not always about surface space. At some point, (and it's coming) you're going to want something for sides cooked indirect or vice-versa.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • wildcat
    wildcat Posts: 13
    Go big and go home IF this will be your first
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    i have an xl and love it.

the added surface area will allow let's you grill and cook indirect at the same time. you can do it the large as well... but this is where the added surface area comes in. granted you would be doing it at the same temp. (example grilling a spatchcock chicken and roasting some vegetables at the same time (i place a small rack on top of a 12" cast iron pan and place the vegetable basket on there) this lets me cook everything at once without having to keep checking on it.

I'm not there yet.. but I definitely see another egg in my future
    context is important :)
  • achtungpv
    achtungpv Posts: 39
    I just bought a Large about 4 weeks ago. I was on the fence and went in with every intention of getting the XL but remembering everybody's advice went with the large since it's just 3 of us.

I regret. Should've went with the XL. It is really difficult to put a lot of food on the Large no matter what anyone says. Got the expandable grid and it sucks. It sits too low and with the leg position, there's not much room below. Build your own with long bolts and an extra grill instead. In hindsight, I'd rather spend a bit more on lump consumption than figure out how to time everything so I can get all the cooking done in turns.
  • XLGrEGGer
    XLGrEGGer Posts: 55
    I had a large and then went to the XL. It took some getting use to but now I am loving it. Get the XL. You will have more options (lump reducer etc..).
  • 2Fategghead
    I have two large egg and there is only two of us most of the time. I contacted the ceramicgrillstore.com and purchased an adjustable rig and most all it accessories. If you look at my reply with pic's to fckvwls you will see some of the thing I can do in one large egg. :)

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1066971&catid=1