Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon tips???

wkygriller
wkygriller Posts: 408
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today my mother's boyfriend (basically my Step dad) picked us up 25 lbs of pork belly from a local shop close to them. I ordered the hi mountain cure from Bass Pro. It says that it will cure 25 lbs, so thats what he bought :ermm: .

pig001.jpg
pig002.jpg
After seeing other posts on the forum these look awful lean. Is this normal? Any tips on the cure or smoke?

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Looks like nice bellies to me!! I have 10 pounds curing as I type. Does it still have the skin on? If so, filet it off before curing and smoking. (Fry the skin for some nice Chiccarones ;) ) You will be very happy with the Hi Mountain cure results. You can add to them later (adding pepper, maple powder, juniper berries, etc...) Just go with the basic for now. I always smoke my bacon using apple wood. Hickory is the typical 'supermarket' flavor. The decision is yours based on what you like for smoking wood! Also I find it helpful to cut the belly just enough so it fits in a gallon zip lock. Makes the curing/turning, etc much easier. Enjoy! You will be spoiled quickly! :laugh:
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    can you post a pic of the other side and maybe one of the sides does not look like any belly meat i have seen ... looks almost like it has the rib bones in it??
    regardless.. hi mountain instructions tell you how much per pound ,, follow the instructions .. but reduce the cure time to five days.. smoke with hickory or apple .. you can cold smoke or warm smoke ,, be sure to check out third-eyes site it will be more like english or canadian bacon but good eats regardless
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Buy the 2-1/2 gallon zips. They will each take half a belly

Got Pancetta hanging and maple smoking, as I write this.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Chef
    Nice!! And my sub primals are 26 days old today! Wednesday is day 28. Guess what's for dinner Wednesday? :woohoo:
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    You gonna have some good stuff! Better give step dad a big batch ;) I made a check-up appointment this morning, just so happens I will be at the pork center on April 12th :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    28 days? That's juss a widdle baby... :(

Heh heh heh
    should be good

Don't chop the rest up and freeze, just let her ride ;)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Chef
    That's the plan. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    LC how long do you let you belly stay in the Hi Mountain cure? I left mine in for 7 day last time. Thanks Tim :)
  • wkygriller
    bill, He swears no bones. There is about a 1/2 inch piece of lard on each one. He bought fresh from the slaughter house today. They removed all skin and prepped it for bacon the way they make it. I am making the 4 hour drive to surprise Mom on her 65th birthday tomorrow and also will be picking up the bellies. I have the small loaded up in the truck and her favorite meal in the fridge (beef tenderloin and fresh shrimp)I will post pics tomorrow night.
  • wkygriller
    Stike,
    I have never seen the 2.5 before. Where do you buy them?
  • wkygriller
    Susan, I don't eat a bunch of bacon, but the thought of cooking something new on the egg is the reason I do stuff like this. He will probably end up with 20 lbs. I will end up with 2 lbs and an A$$ chewing from my doctor :angry: But its all about the fun...Right :huh:
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    The left over bits make a great pot of beans ;)
  • Chief Chef
    Chief Chef Posts: 199
    wkygriller- That's the way it gets started - "...just something new to try out..." Next thing you know you have developed an addiction to the product itself. The photos are from my first attempt at bacon from several weeks ago. Last week I cured and smoked ten pounds and bought a meat slicer to boot! The neighbors are loving it. Good luck with your bacon.
    Steve

baconphotos001.jpg
    baconphotos002.jpg
    baconphotos008.jpg
  • wkygriller
    Steve,
    that bacon looks great ;). That is the finished product that I'm hoping for. What cure did you use, how long did it stay in the fridge and what smoke did you use?
  • Chief Chef
    Chief Chef Posts: 199
    Being my first atempt I went with Tender Quick, an off the shelf meat cure made by Mortons. I followed the directions on the package, adjusting cure amounts by the weight of the meat (this one was 2.5 lbs). In addition to the cure I addded a 1/4 cup brown sugar and poured some pure maple syrup lightly on each side. I cured in a plastic bag for 7 days, turning them over each day and making sure the brine liquid which formed poured over the meat. At the end of 7 days, I rinsed and soaked each slab in cold water for 2 20 minute periods with a water change in between. Dried in the fridge overnight. Smoked over maple wood at 190-200 deg to 150 deg internal temp.
    Check out 2FateggHead's posts also - a lot of helpful info there.
    Further experiments ongoing! Keep us all posted on your progress.

Steve
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Really looks good.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas