Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

claws for pulling pork

HarleyDoug
HarleyDoug Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
m wife & I watched a video on pulling pork and the guy used Bear Claws & some metal claws that seemed to do a better job - I've been lookind on the internet but can't find them - found the plastic bear claws and look like they'd do the job but the metal ones look like they do a better job Any feedback??

Thanks much
Doug

Comments

• Jimbob
    Jimbob Posts: 54
    There is a video on U Tube named Pork Puller. It pulls the butt roast apart in about 10 seconds. It works really great.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Your pork will thank you if you pull by hand. This allows you to really separate the good meat from the fat and not-so-good stuff.

Takes longer, but the end product is undeniably better. You will end up with more of a pulled pork vs. a shredded product if you use the tools. Doing it by hand allows you to keep some bigger pieces intact with the bark.

Just my opinion. If you want some bear claws I'll send you mine. I never use them.
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,168
    Listen to Fidel! Pull it by hand.......one try with the paws and you'll find out what we already know!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    I have the plastic bear claws, used them only once. Get some heat resistant gloves, works much better:

http://www.texasbbqrub.com/bbqgloves.htm
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Enjoy you pork shoulder anyway you want/like it.

As for us we use two forks and like Fidel said we toss some undesirable fatty stuff out. Unless we put it in a sandwich we like it mixed up and somewhat chunky. :)
  • Hey thanks guys - I guess I just saved 11.95 + S& H :):) :)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I think the metal ones you are looking for may be called "Turkey Lifters" and are available at Williams-Sanoma and other places, but like Fidel and Egret said, pull by hand. I bought the plastic ones and used them only once. They are, however, handy for lifting large pieces of meat, butts, turkeys, whatever :laugh:
  • seems to be what everyone is saying - like the idea of the gloves

Thanks much
    Doug
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I'll agree with the others as for home use for one or even two butts - using a couple forks allows you to finesse the undesireable parts out. OTOH one time I helped in a group effort to pull 12 butts for a large event and two of us armed with the plastic bear claws were appreciated by the other pullers as we ripped through those butts VERY quickly!

One last word of caution for people who do own them - if you have young children then guard those claws like knifes as those claws are sharp and dangerous if in the wrong hands!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I use a clever in one hand, the other bare handed for a combo of chopped & pulled. And I still have almost all my fingers.
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    I've probably cooked something like 150 to 200 pounds of pulled pork in the last six months.

In the begining, I used my hands but, even with gloves, found it to be too warm for my comfort and with heavier gloves I had a hard time getting the junk out of the meat.

So, I tried large metal serviing forks - ended up with too finely shredded pork ... not a goodness.

My brother got me a set of the plastic bear claws and I've found these to be just right. They rip right into the meat very nicely and they are well enough designed I can finesse out the undesireables. Since I've started using them, I have a better product ... less undesireables and larger shreds then using any other method.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Thanks RD I just ordered.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Mickey wrote:
    Thanks RD I just ordered.

Yeah, I really like these gloves. You can handle large cuts of meat right out of the Egg without any heat issues to the hands. And they're flexible enough to extract the fat from pork shoulder while pulling it. And they're inexpensive, how can you go wrong!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    You could always use something like... two forks. :blush:
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    To me bear claws are worthless for pulling pork but they are very handy for loosening up reheated pulled pork that has been vacuum sealed. -RP