Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Woo question

Austin Egger
Austin Egger Posts: 256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for a good system to put on my mini that I can use to raise the grid and do some indirect cooks like pizza, or greasy stuff that I don't want to drip on the lump. I saw the Woo at the ceramic store and it looks really neat, but it doesn't sound like it has enough room to put in a small drip pan in between the indirect pizza stone and the grid. My questions are as follows: 1. Are there any other systems besides the Woo or any way you can set it up for indirect or any way that you can set up a double level tier (2 grids that you can cook on at once) with the fire ring out? 2. With the Woo, you would use a pizza stone for the indirect heat. Can the pizza stones take 600 degrees of direct heat if I want to do a pizza? I would use 1 pizza stone for the indirect and another pizza stone above that to put the pizza on (gap inbetween). 3. Those of you that use the Woo, do you ever put in a drip pan or do you just use foil to catch the greasy drippings? Thank you for your input! :)

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Hey...as long as I have your attention, I wanted to say what a pleasure it was cooking by,(and meeting) you.., and your lovely Wife!!

As far as the Woo for the Mini...it'll take a pan no problem.

As far as cooking on two levels...frankly you really can't do it very well on a Mini.

Just give Tom, (TJV) a call @ the Ceramic Grill Store # on his Website and he will let you know of any updates or new changes...but otherwise, you're good with the WOO!!

Hope to see you two again!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • MusicMan78
    MusicMan78 Posts: 182
    Not going to be enough room to put a drip pan between the two pizza stones. Maybe you could trim a foil pie pan but it would not hold very much and it would burn the drippings anyway. I just wrap the lower one in foil when I do indirect. Have had no problems using the stones for high heat pizza cooks. But your gasket will probably be toast!

DSC00580.jpg

Pizza setup with both stones
    DSC00576.jpg
  • Hey Chubby, It was great meeting you as well! Thanks for the use of the knife! So is there enough room between the pizza stones to put a small drip pan held up by foil balls so that the drippings don't burn so bad? From what Tom said, it did not sound like there is enough room. He recommended just using foil, but I'm afraid that the dripping on foil which is on the lower pizza stone will burn badly. Any thoughts?
  • Thanks Musicman! Do you think there would be any benefit to have them make a bigger gap between the two so that you could capture the drippings and not burn them, or will that take away to much room in the dome?
  • MusicMan78
    MusicMan78 Posts: 182
    Only way I could see that working would be to remove the fire ring and that would basically put the lower stone right on the lump. Probably would not be good. As you can see using it as (with fire ring) puts you about the rim already so space will get tight fast. Notice the new gasket....one pizza cook and my felt was FRIED! But I love the mini woo, it makes the mini so much more versatile.

DSC00590.jpg
  • Chubby
    Sorry...I missread your question! I have had my peice from Tom for a few years and It may be different from the current production.

If you wanna give me a ring...feel free and it's a little easier to bat around in a conversation.

281) 894-4471

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    This has been an issue for me too. Here is what I'm planning to do for pizza, haven't done it yet.

I got an extra fire ring and 10" grid. I could put one of small pizza stones on this lower grid for conventional indirect.
    DSC01593.jpg

Put the extra fire ring and new grid on top of it.
    DSC01590.jpg

Put on the small pizza stone. The lid WILL close over this.
    DSC01589.jpg

The 3" thermometer is touching the pizza stone. The thermometer will stay in the hole without the clip underneath, so you could pull it out, or use a cork spacer between the thermometer and the outside of the Egg. Not a big problem. The lid will close over all of this.
    DSC01588.jpg

Will it work? I'll find out when I get around to pizza day.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Chubby
    Hey Judy!!

Just wondering...why are you thinking you need this much elevation on a Mini for Za's?

No disrespect...just asking.. ;)

Evans
  • Judy Mayberry
    Well, Sweet Chubs, I'm totally ignorant about what to do with this Mini and inexperienced to say the least. Because the grid is so close to the heat and the temperature goes up so darn fast, I thought the bottom of the pizza should be as far away as possible. This is just a wild-ass guess because I don't know what I'm doing.

Maybe the two-stones-and-woo would work really well. I won't know till I try it, and I'm pizza'd out right now. I've got a Butt-Up Chicken to work on for a few days, and a tri-tip I've gotta cook. So it's a future project.

I hope someone will report on both arrangements so I can learn from them.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Are you talking about the WOO for the mini or the small?
    The CGS site says that Amazon sells 8in stones in pairs, just right for the mini. A cheap pie pan will work for a drip pan.
    I have the small WOO for the small egg and use the CGS 10in drip pan for it. :)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    There were no responses when I began to type my reply. Two phone calls later I see very good advice already posted :lol:
  • For the mini. My real concern is for the indirect greasy stuff. I think the Woo will work great for pizza, but I was trying to see if there is a way to catch the drippings on a pan and not have it sitting and burning on the indirect stone. It doesn't sound like there will be enough room to stick foil balls underneath like I do on my large, so I will have to deal with it. Thanks!
  • Thanks for the pics and advice! :)
  • Judy Mayberry
    I meant to say something about having room to put a drip pan underneath. That's why I am looking for a way to raise the top grid higher.
    Judy in San Diego
  • That is the only thing I'm trying to figure out as well. I know that the ceramic grill store can make a bigger gap for me, but I'm not sure if that will be good because of the room. I've got a gathering this weekend so I am trying to get something done by then but I should probably play around with the mini first. I still have to wait on a few parts before I can use it. I'll let you know what if anything that I decide on. Thanks! :)