Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Competition in Ireland 29th April. Anybody int

Options
irishrog
irishrog Posts: 375
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If any Eggheads are travelling in Ireland in April and would like to take part in a fun BBQ competition on Saturday 30th April then here is your opportunity.
Limerick City will host its 3rd annual Riverfest Festival from 29th April to 2nd May inclusive, and a major event in the festival is the barbeque cook off on the Saturday. The event will have as many as 70/80 teams, mostly amateurs, and all competing for the top prize, which I won last year.
The organisers will provide all the barbeques and charcoal, the tables, the cooking tools, and the competition food, and entry for overseas teams will be complimentary. Tented cooking areas are also provided. The event is held in the middle of the city, where they close off the street for the day and it is a really social affair, with live musicians, street entertainers, and a huge market running alongside.
There are normally 4 cooking catagories during the day, pork, chicken, fish and beef, and the food for the competition is provided by the organisers, who also provide food for each team to cook for sampling by the public. Last year there were in the region of 35000 visitors to this event.
If any of you are tarvelling in Ireland around that time the organisers would love to here from you. If you contact me through the forum or email direct at rbeck@eircom.net I will arrange for the organisers to contact you and make the arrangements. As this event is run by the city they may also be able to help you get discounted rates for accommodation for the weekend.
This is a really fun event, which is extremely well organised and always enjoys a wonderful turnout, so if you are in this part of the world at that time it would be a shame to miss out.
Photos from last year can be viewed here
http://www.munsterimages.ie/search/label/Riverfest 2010 Photographs

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Is that you in front of the Big Green Egg?

I'm sure you will win again if you are the only Egghead.

Can't come but wish we could.

Spring "Kiss Me I'm Irish" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • irishrog
    irishrog Posts: 375
    Options
    Hi Leroy,
    Thats me with the EGG, this competition is really wonderful fun, and many of the people who attend to watch only know BBQ as burgers and sausages, and it is wonderful to be able to show so many people just what you can cook on an EGG.
    Pity you cant come this year, but maybe next year. The festival is always held on the weekend of the May public holiday in Ireland, so it can go on for an extra day, (Monday) and there are all kinds of wonderful events right through the weekend, of which the BBQ is just 1.
    Congratulations on a wonderful fest last weekend in Salado, the photos and videos of these events make me really jealous that I cannot just drop down for the day to attend, although probably some of those attending travel further to attend than I would travelling from Ireland. I am definately going to make a trip in the next few years and try and get to 2 or 3 fests all on 1 visit.
    Irish"mad for road"rog
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Come from this last weekend 'til the middle of April, hit Saledo, The Florida fest and OKC 3 of the best fests in 4 or so weeks.

Doug