Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Memphis ??

MO Mule
MO Mule Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to be in Memphis for a couple of days in April.
Beside your backyards, where is the best BBQ in town?

Comments

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Interstate BBQ is rated very high. A trip to Memphis needs to include the Rendevous(sp) and Gus fried chicken. Have fun and visit Beale street. Good luck to all.
  • MO Mule
    We're staying on Beale St. and i'll try to find the rest.
    Thanks
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    If you've had BGE ribs, you will likely be disappointed in the Rendevous. Not as good as it was in the 'old day's before change of ownership.

If you want a 'nice' dinner - there is a place called "Itta Bena". Owned by BB King and located above his bar/cafe on Beale St. It has NO signage - just an awning over the sidewalk and a plain door in the brick wall. Named after his hometown in MS, it is a really good restaurant. I had duck & waffles with blueberry compote - outstanding!

Email me thru the Forum if this interests you and I will try to locate a number to call for reservations.
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    There is a Gus on Beale street.
  • TN Que
    TN Que Posts: 1
    As a Memphis resident, I have to say that the best BBQ is off Beale Street. Some folks like the ribs at Blues City Cafe, but they've never been anything special on the occasions that I've tried them.

I agree with BajaTom that it's worth it to go try the Rendezvous. It's downtown, so it should be fairly convenient if you're staying near Beale. In truth, it's such a large operation now that it can be a bit hit or miss, but the atmosphere is worth soaking in, the cheese plates are usually great, and everything is doused in their rub, which has more oregano and other greek flavors than you typically encounter in most rubs.

If you do leave downtown, you may want to try Central BBQ in Midtown. It's a relatively new operation (maybe a decade old) and doesn't always get the publicity that some more established joints get, but they typically turn out good ribs and que, and they have a nice patio to sit on and sip a cold one if it's a nice day.

Whatever you do, have a great time!
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Saw this on one of "Foodie" programs:

http://www.dyersonbeale.com/

If you stop in, plz review for us as I'd put that on my list of places to try.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • MO Mule
    Thanks for the tips. I'm studying maps and i found a number for Itta Bena. (Sounds good)
  • MO Mule
    I'll try to check it out and let you know. I know someone who has been and he said it was excellent. I'm not sure how many different places i'll be able to try.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Try: my favorites at these places

Rendezvous - chicken nachos, cheese plate, red beans
    Germantown commissary - banana pudding
    Interstate BBQ - BBQ spaghetti
    Gus' fried chicken - fried chicken :-)
    Dyers - burger
    Pete & Sam's - anything and be sure to trythe pizza
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    The BBQ Shoppe,Interstate,Germantown commissary.It's not Q but Gus'Fried Chicken and Dreyers are MUST visit places.Rendevous is more of a tourist trap.Crimsongator is correct though, they have great red beans n rice. ;)
  • Crimsongator
    Do they still give a free cup of beans and rice for lunch on Fridays?
  • Hoss
    I'm not sure.I have'nt been there is quite a while.
  • Crimsongator
    I used to do lunch there every Friday. Interstate, Coletta's, Gus's and Erica's were on the rotation.
  • Hoss
    OOOOOHHHHH! Colettas!YUM!Interstate opened a second location in Southaven so hit that one sometimes.
  • Crimsongator
    Coletta's.....great food, lousy service. :cheer: :cheer:
  • MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    Depends on what you are looking for, pulled pork sandwhich, wet ribs, dry ribs. Some of the great joints are in rougher areas of town too. Here's a quick list. Personally I believe the dry ribs are best. You can always add sauce to them but usually Memphis style ribs can lose a lot of the rub and smoke flavor they are famous for by slopping on a bunch of sauce.

Ribs - (dry) - Central BBQ, Rendez-Vous (mainly for the atmosphere but ribs are unique amoung Memphis varieties)
    Ribs - (Wet) - Central BBQ, Kozy Corner, Corky's (not a big fan of corky's
    Pulled Pork - Any of the Neely's locations, Interstate BBQ, Germantown Commissary, Payne's BBQ, BBQ Shop

If I had to narrow it down, ribs - Central BBQ, Pork sandwhiches - Interstate

Since you are staying on Beale there is only one restaurant worth eating on beale and that is Itta Bena's above BB Kings. Rest of food on street is served to tourists who would not know good BBQ from average. Good place to drink and listen to live music though.
  • MemphisQue
    I believe they still do. Friday's is only day of the work week they are open for lunch. They are closed on Sundays. Since you are downtown you are not far from Cozy Corner (awesome BBQ chicken and ribs) and Neely's downtown location. Great pulled pork sandwhich. You have to use a fork & knife to eat. e-mail me if you want some more details.
  • Crimsongator
    I worked on north 2nd Street when we lived there. We have been gone for about 8 years now.
  • MemphisQue
    Rendez-vous is a neat place to go..maybe not the best BBQ. You were right there where you could walk. Definitely one advantage of working downtown.
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    I'll agree with some others about Central, really good pulled pork. I love Brads in Bartlett too. My favorite is an old gas station that now just serves pulled pork sammies, chips, can cokes, and quart beer. Not sure the name but it's at Mt Pisgah and Macon. Can't really comment on ribs except to say I really don't like rendezvous. Hope you enjoy your stay. :)
  • Crimsongator
    Oh no, not walking distance. The plant I managed was on the northen end of the Wolf River Harbor and not a place I would take off on foot ;)
  • MO Mule
    Been away since yesterday, but i really appreciate all the suggestions.