Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need help - pulled pork

jemrx
jemrx Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have to make enough pulled pork to serve 30 people. I have available bone in picnic shoulders at BJ's they all seem to be around 10lbs. Any thought's on how many of these I need to cook?

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Assume a cooked weight of around 50% of starting weight. So, 10 lb = 5 lb yield. 5 lb = 20 1/4 lb sandwiches, or 15 1/3 lb sandwiches. Most people I've fed eat at least 2 sandwiches, my younger son, usually 3. So, absolute minimum, 2 picnics, but more likely 4.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I agree, you lose a lot more with picnics than you would with butt portions.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I got this off The Naked Whiz's site.

I think that this is based on boneless butts, so you need to add some additional weight for that, but I would not think it is more than 1 1/5 lb per butt.

A big factor is how many sides you plan to have.

How much meat do I need for a large crowd?
    Here is how you can figure how much brisket or pulled pork you need to prepare to serve a large crowd. There are several things to consider:

For pulled pork or brisket, a typical sandwich (or serving) is 4 oz of cooked meat.
    For adult males, you might want to plan on 2 servings per person.
    For women and children, plan on one serving per person.
    The average butt loses about 40% of its weight while cooking. Therefore a pound (16 ounces) of uncooked meat will yield 9.6 ounces of cooked meat. 9.6 ounces is 2.4 servings, so every pound of uncooked meat that you start with will yield 2.4 servings.
    So, first figure out out many servings you need (2 servings per hungry eater, 1 serving per ordinary eater). Then divide the number of servings by 2.4 servings per pound of uncooked meat and you have the total number of pounds of uncooked meat you need. Here, then, is an example:

10 men and 10 women would require about 30 servings. (2 x 10 men = 20 servings, 1 x 10 women = 10 servings.) Divide 30 servings by 2.4 servings per pound of uncooked meat and you get 12.5 pounds of uncooked meat.

Or from a real-life example:
    We were asked to cook pulled pork for a women's shelter. There were 37 women, but these were 37 hungry women (many took a second sandwich with them after dinner), so we figured 60 servings. 60 divided by 2.4 is 25 pounds of raw meat, which is just about what it took.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    I did not see the comment about these being picnics. With them you have to think about the skin and additional bone.
  • NC Bill
    NC Bill Posts: 19
    Figure out what you need then add another butt. The way they are around here one gets eaten while we are pullin the pork