Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

should we or shouldn't we

Options
Dara Lee
Dara Lee Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone

My husband and I are wondering whether we should buy an Egg or not. It is a lot of money and we just bought a new gas bbq 2 years ago and there is really nothing wrong with it. We like to cook steak, prime rib, pork all the usual things but nothing too fancy. Let me know. thanks

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Your question will soon be "When are we getting our second Egg?" :laugh: You're only regret will be why you didn't get an Egg sooner. ;) Come on in! The water is fine! :)
  • Le Oeuf Vert
    Options
    You should. Remember you are not just buying a grill/smoker you are buying into a new lifestyle and friendships.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Believe me we have all "been there done that" you will not regret it. spend some time reading on here and you will be amazed at the things the egg does under your hand :) comparing it to a gas grill is like comparing a truck to a bicycle, all though they will both get you there but they really are two different things :)
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Options
    the gas bbq will be a perfect place to store you accessories for your egg.....i will say this very simple....... the egg is the BEST and LAST grill/smoker/cooker you will ever buy.... period...

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    you wont believe what the "usual things" will be that come off your new egg ;) you will start out with some steak, a chicken, a porkloin, then its overnight pulled pork, briskets, then pizza, calzones, blueberry pies, then you get a dutch oven and start with chili, then gumbos, then bouillabaisse. then it just gets crazy, you see a wok cook, some satays, some mexican fish dishes, some one cooks a paella, you see a cataplana cook :laugh: its a trap, it forces you to buy more eggs, its like candy, crack, you cant stop, theres no rehabs, just folks eggin you on :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Welcome! Where are you located? If you look at the top of the forum page, you will see "EGGFEST CENTRAL". Take a look at the fests coming up and if there is one near you, you should attend. There will be a lot of very good eggers there and you will be able to taste their cooks. Everything from brownies to chicken to lobster dip. You will get a great idea of how to use an egg, as well as taste your fill of egged food. You will also be able to purchase a demo egg (only used that day) with a full lifetime warranty and at a discounted price.

That said, I bought my first egg before I had even SEEN one. Now I have two of them. No regrets.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    It only seems like a lot of money. A gas grill, IMHO, is a poor substitute for a kitchen range. The Egg is a reasonable substitute for the range. The only use I've found wanting is for boiling water. During summer, I rarely use the kitchen stove.

I got the Egg to do BBQ. Within the month, I was making better 'Q than anything for a decade. I never expected it would make baking bread better. I'm doing fancier stuff because it is easy enough.

And, if you live in a cold climate like I do, its wonderful to grill, bake, and 'Q in the dead of winter.
  • Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Options
    The only thing to watch out for is getting the right size.I would get a XL if I were you.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    maybe if you just think you'll be stopping at just one BGE! Many of us have multiple eggs. As for starting out with an XL - I'd instead recommend the ideal combo of a large and a small.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    Options
    ...until you buy nother one :whistle: ...and another one :woohoo: ...etc, etc, etc
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    Listen to this man...he is right on the money (unfortunate cliche). Large and Small are an ideal and efficient combination.

(Then I had to go and get a Mini. Trifling with perfection.)
    Judy in San Diego
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I haven't even considered using my gas grill since receiving the Egg for Christmas. I have a large, and now I want a small..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • kmellecker
    kmellecker Posts: 332
    Options
    There was nothing wrong with my gas grill or my charcoal grill when my children gave me my large for Fathers Day a couple of years back. To this day, they all say it was the best gift they ever gave, it just keeps on giving back. Don't delay, just do it. There will be no regrets. Welcome.
  • fdxegger
    fdxegger Posts: 69
    Options
    I bought my BGE about 5 years ago and found a whole new world of grilling. I was burning out gas grills about 3-4 years and replacing smokers just as often. THE BGE does a great job with the food you cook now and more. You can take advantage of this forum to make it more fun and shorten the learning curve a bit.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I would say that it is even better in a warmer climate because it allows you to bake without heating the house up. I've always thought it was dumb to have the oven on in the house when it is 90 degrees outside. ;) I just got mine at Christmas, but am really looking forward to have casseroles, baked goods and such in the summer without heating the house up.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I have/have had several different cookers.My BGE was a gift.Absolutely the best cooker I have ever used,bar none. ;)
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    FriendsDontletT-Shirt.jpg

Enough said! :woohoo:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Never did have a gasser, but had a kettle for 25 years!
    All I can add to this thread, is that I wish I had pulled the trigger for an EGG many years ago! What a difference an Egg makes!
    You will NEVER regret the purchase and really......It isn't that much money. I catered for a family a few years back, that spent over 3K for a gasser. Sure it's pretty nice, but it can't do what my Egg can do and I'm 100% sure they will have to replace it.....And I will still have my Egg!
    Really....Just go for it.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Obviously we might be a little biased round here :).

True story: My wife and I went to a fancy dinner the other night for her birthday. The bill was...well let's just say it was about the same as my first car payment.

Tonight we had chicken quarters and veggies on the egg. To feed our family of 5, we spent about $10 at the grocery store. We both agreed we enjoyed the egged far more.

Look for an eggfest in your area and go pick one up at a discount.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    You should!! the egg will improve what you are used to cooking on a grill, plus so much more. as many others have said, your cooking world will expand, plus you get this group, what a deal :laugh: And Pizza!!