Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

forum photos \'freeware\'?

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,518
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
few weeks ago Dickson Toronto Eggfest's Gallery linked to my photos ...
http://www.biggreeneggtoronto.com/gallery2010.html

now Pittsburgh Eggfest uses only my photos in the landing page, also in email to last year's attendees ...
http://www.hearthandhomepa.com/biggreenegg.htm

would be nice if they ask or acknowledge use of my intellectual property in official publications :whistle:

Gary
canuckland

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Raise some he!! Gary! You photos are spectacular and you should protect them....unless you're just ranting..
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Canugghead
    Options
    thanks Molly, i'm thinking about it.
    canuckland
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I'm with Molly!! :angry:
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    Gary if you would only take crappy photos like I do you wouldn't have this problem. You are just too good at what you do.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Hey Larry,,, where you been hiding?
  • Double Bogey
    Options
    I stay busy just reading your posts Pat. Actually Vickie and I are building a log cabin in the south west Virginia mountains just off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Taking more of my time than I planned.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Hey Larry! Sorry to interrupt but real glad to see you around. Best to Vickie and hope to see you soon.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Double Bogey
    Options
    Steve,
    don't you have a government to run or something?
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Larry,

My responsibilities are huge. I have no time for anything with the whole country in passive riot mode. Leafs are only three games out. It could be the perfect storm. Just wanted to say hey anyway. :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Options
    thanks Frank.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Larry i'm thick-skinned and don't hesitate to get into the midst of action to shoot :blush:
    Gary
    canuckland
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    I guess you may need to watermark your photos!

Sad thing is once you put something on the web it pretty much becomes a free for all...
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    One of my other hobbies is photography. Indeed, I was, at one time, a professional photographer.

The discussion of copyright appears on a regular basis on most of the photography oriented forums. Generally speaking, if you take the photograph, you own the copyright. As such, you have the right to request either payment for the use of your photographs or demand they be removed from use. That's the legal thing.

The fact of life aspect is that, unless you have formally copyrighted your photos (not hard, but most don't do it), you will be fighting an up-hill battle getting the users of your photos to conform - if you go after it all nasty like.

The real-life aspect is that if you approach the users of your photos and engage in a civil and polite conversation wherein you educate them on the issues you will, usually, end up much happier. The outcomes from such conversations, when the results are positive and they aren't always, range from real money down to a simple credit statement like "This photo courtesy of Joe Photographer (jPhotographer@EggPhotography.com)" or some such.

MOST (but not all) violators of copyright, especially if they are small companies or individuals, don't even know that they are infringing ... thinking that anything on the web is literally, fair game. So, again usually, attempting to educate, is the most productive way to approach the situation.

Been there, done that, have the T-shirt (and little else) to show for it.

:)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Just contact the organization using your photos. Most of them are reasonable about doing the right thing when asked to do so. Of course, if they are linking to photos on a server you control, there's always the "stolen photo" route, lol.
    The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it's free only if they ignore basic copyright law.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    zackly.
    i have only registered copyright on 12 images in 20 years of pushing a pencil. that requires a fee, and basically establishes for-once-and-for-all that you asserted ownership

but even if you don't register them, and even if you don't put your name on them, you still own copyright. it's just enforcement in a legal environment is easier when they are registered.

as you said, most users don't have any idea re: any of this.

in my case, it's better for me to have them append "courtesy of..." than it is for me to force them to take it down. i've already been paid for my work, and in most cases, any further use is good publicity (as long as my name is attached :) )

what i do is contact the person who used it and request that they give me credit. if they refuse, you can usually scare them enough with a little copyright infringement, whose penalties are kinda nice, frankly. hahaha

most cases, 9 out of 10, they apologize and append your credit.

FYI... here is a FANTASTIC little tool for finding your images used elsewhere on the wb. it will even find your images even if they have been cropped.

Tiny Eye
  • stike
    Options
    they have also rather clumsily used them at full resolution... takes a while to load and looks a little amateur
  • Canugghead
    Options
    to all for sharing your experience/expertise, i'll contact them and see what happens.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    tinyeye is interesting, however i tried a couple of searches and came up empty, here's an example ...
    http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr197/canadaodyowner/2010 Pittsburgh Egg Fest/IMG_8031.jpg
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    if you meant the link below, i should clarify the two full-sized photos that took long to load are not mine, i was referring to the 'link' provided below the second photo that takes visitors to my photos from last year.

http://www.biggreeneggtoronto.com/gallery2010.html
    canuckland
  • stike
    Options
    they haven't indexed the web entirely yet. not sure they have the hardware that google does.
    i did find a pic of mine that had been cropped quite a bit. was pretty cool. but yeah, sometimes it's a miss.
  • stike
    Options
    ah. thanks. i actually thought they might not be yours because the pics that i was referring to were kinda ho-hum :laugh:

glad yours are the better ones.

in the end, best to act like mickey the dunce and just shoot them a conversational email: "hi. i noticed you had a couple of my photos on your website, and am glad you found them useful. I'd like to ask that you ..."

and then it's maybe
    a.) provide a photographer credit
    or
    b.)pay me a fee
    or
    c.) take it down

(probably 'a.)' :) )
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    popdaddysBBQBrisketpicture.jpg

A few years ago I discovered one of my photo's in the lead-in to a brisket tutorial on You Tube; a forum member had posted a link to his video on another Q forum. So I called him on it.... As it turns out he was a fan of my site and is a major briskateer in his own right, actually having worked in one of the brisket mecca's in Lockhart way before the break-up. He also cooks 20 and 30 at a time, which ranks me any day of the week. Long story short, he really liked the photo and just didn't think to ask. We are now friends, he is one of my brisket mentors, and we ave traded a lot of tips and techniques.

There is no telling the number of my photo's that have been "borrowed" over the years, I see them re posted on occasion in obscure places. Many people do ask permission and that's cool. When I get permission to post someones photo on my site I add their name to the shot so there is no mistaking the photographer. Like this great shot from ronbeaux.

Brisketronbeaux2007-1.jpg

Bottom line is, we lost a very valuable asset to this forum several years ago mainly due to hijacked photo's. So, it's best to ask. And when you acknowledge the source most folks won't refuse.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    Options
    if i'm remembering the "hijacked photo" in question, it occurred long before he left, and was apologized for.

i also didn't think that someone using it in a post (as a reference) was the same as pretending or implying it was their own property....

and it was posted here, too. no sane person pilfering images from others to bolster their own rep would actually use it in the very forum it was posted first, unless maybe they were daft, or unless they really weren't trying to pass it off as their own in the first place.

that said, i agree the dude in question was an asset, but just not sure that photo-credit was the only reason

that would be a pretty flighty reason to pull up the tent stakes. just my 2cents
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Actually the re posting was to another forum, in fact a photography forum.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    Options
    ah.
    i was thinking of a very early episode... thanks for clarifying.

(i do think there were other 'disgruntlements' on many fronts too. a shame, but what can you do?)