Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New XL BGE - What to smoke

TheLazyC
TheLazyC Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just drove 4 hours to pickup my new XL BGE and nest, watched the video, assembly complete. Now I need some suggestions on what I should smoke for my maiden voyage? Something simple to break us in.

133448209.jpg

Comments

• U2
    U2 Posts: 27
    I bought the XL about 2 months ago, but have yet to cook on it because the bar that will house it is not finished.
    BUT, I have been on this forum just about everyday soakin' up as much info as I possibly can, and when I get to cook on my BGE for the first time, I'm going with baby back ribs.
    Sounds "not too easy", but not difficult, and all the photos I've seen on this forum, the ribs look mouth-watering.
    Look forward to reading about your first cook
  • TheLazyC
    How can you wait that long to cook? I wanted to cook on mine as soon as I got it home but knew I did not have enough time, unless I did the 14 hour brisket but was afraid to start that not know if I could regulate the temp.

I really want to do the ribs, but dont have the v-rack so didn't want to try that yet.

I need to make an eggcessory order.
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    With the XL, you don't need the v-rack. Just lay them flat on the grid indirect. Saves the mess of cleaning the v-rack.

I bet everyone would be pleased with the results. Lots of good posts here how to do ribs.
  • jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    My first smoke in my XL was Baby Back Ribs. They were excellent.

ribsaredone2031211.jpg

Three Racks laying flat, side by side on the XL. Nice.

ribsmidcook031211.jpg
  • First pick Moo, oink or cluck.
    Light a fire
    Cook and enjoy

If you are an egg noob start simple. Try a "normal" grill session, just build a hot fire and throw some steaks on. Or try a spatchcock chicken It takes a few tries to get the hang of a low and slo cook.

There is plenty of info here on the forum. Read, study and experiment.

Welcome.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    3 racks will also lay flat on a LBGE. :)
  • Welcome & Congrats! I would do a couple nice THICK Ribeyes! Nice first cook you will never forget. Quick & easy but super Tasty! We look forward to photos from your inaugural cook.

2010-07-30%202010-07-30%20001%20011.JPG?psid=1

pic of Ribeye on Mini
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • U2
    U2 Posts: 27
    Wow ---The waiting is the hardest part.
    I still have in my garage waiting for our backyard to be completed.
    I have been living vicariously through all the posters here, which has heightened my anxiousness.
    I think my first cook will be in mid-April.
    By then I should be pretty book-smart :)
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Go buy a Boston Butt. Rub it in mustard and cover it with a pork rub. Cook till 165 degrees indirect ( use the plate setter or adjustable rig) and then take it off and wap it in aluminum foil and put it back on the egg till it hits 200 degrees. Then wrap it in a towel and put it in a cooler for and hour or 2 and then unwrap and pull it. The whole cook is 250 degrees dome temperature on the egg. That is the easiest cook. For easy ribs pull the membrane from the ribs and then cover in yellow mustard and rub with a pork rub. Cook 3 hours indirect at 250 degrees and then pull the ribs and wrap them in foil and cook 1 hour still at 250 degrees. Then unwrap them and cook them 45 minutes more indirect at 250 degrees. At this point I remove the plate setter and bring the ribs inside and sauce them. Once the egg hits 350-400 I put the ribs back on for a couple minutes per side to char them Picture202.jpgRibsdone.jpg
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    First thing I smoked was a pork butt. I just put Bryon's Butt rub on it and smoked it at 230 till the internal temp hit 190 with a platesetter. No mustard slather, injections foil, or any of that business. Keep it simple the first couple times out.

I usually get the fire going when the dome temp gets to about 350, I throw some wood chunks in the fire and put the plate setter and meat on. Keep the top vent daisy wheel petals open and the bottom vent open about 1/2in as a good starting point. Then practice regulating your temps from there.
  • Congrats and enjoy that Egg. My first smoke/cook was a Boston Butt and man was it an awesome choice. Just remember to cook to temp and not time. That was my biggest challenge. Good luck.
  • TheLazyC
    Thanks for all the good tips. As luck would have it, I am not going to be able to fire up the BGE today. So another week of reading and hope to try something next week.

In the meantime, if each of you could just invite me over for some BGE meals, I really learn better that way! :laugh: