Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Southwestern Quinoa and BURNT STEAKS

Options
thebtls
thebtls Posts: 2,300
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight we had company. I spent $50-60 on T-Bones, got distracted and took T-REX to a whole new definition, i.e. e.g. I FRYED THEM TO A CRISP...

I topped it off with this first attempt at cooking with Quinoa, it too was unremarkable at best.

I think it was the recipe and the spices. I've updated the contents to adjust for the overwhelming chili and chipolte taste here. This would be REALLY good in burrritos with some steak bites.

I guess this is my first disaster in about 450-500 cooks since becomming an egger, so I've been pretty lucky.

The DOGS on the other hand think this was my BEST COOK EVER!!!DSC_3097.jpg

INGREDIENTS

3 Cups of Water
Chicken Bouillon cube (or vegetable)
1 ½ Cups of quinoa, rinsed
½ Tsp. Pink Sea Salt
Juice from 3 Limes (Sub 1/3 Cup Lime Juice)
1 ½ Tsp. Cumin
1/8 Tsp. Chili Powder
1/8 Tsp. ground chipotle chili powder (or cayenne)
2 Tbls. red wine vinegar
2 Tbls. EVOO
4 cloves of minced garlic (Sub 1 Tsp. Minced)
1 can Black Beans, drained
½ Cup fresh or frozen Corn
½ Sweet Onion, diced
½ Cup Roasted Red Pepper, diced
1 Tbls. Jalapeno, minced
¼ Cup Cilantro
½ Cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of Sugar

DIRECTIONS
1. In a large pot combine water and chicken bouillon and bring to a boil. Add quinoa and salt and boil for 10 minutes; remove from heat and rinse quinoa and place in a fine metal sieve or fine colander. Bring a fresh pot of water to boil. Place quinoa in the sieve over it. Cover with a kitchen towel and lid. Steam for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow cooling

2. Meanwhile make the dressing by combining lime juice, cumin, chili powder, chipotle chili powder, vinegar, olive oil and garlic. (You can do this in a small bowl or in a blender)

3. In a separate bowl, combine black beans, corn, onion, red pepper, jalapenos and cilantro.

4. After quinoa cools, combine with black bean mixture. Stir in cheese if, desired.

5. Toss with dressing and serve at room temperature or chilled after tossing in a pinch of salt. Great for mixing with steak bites on burritos for leftovers.
Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241

Comments