Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

trying to catch natural juices from brisket

Options
eggzlot
eggzlot Posts: 93
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posted earlier, I do not have access to a raised grid set up yet (I did email Tom at CGS this afternoon so I'll likely have this set up soon).

As I posted in a thread yesterday, every time I have tried to use a drip pan, I get burned crud, not juices. I've raised the pans off the plate setter with foil, no luck.

Someone gave me the idea of using U Bolts, went to ACE hardware today and got some stuff, but it is just not balancing right in my Egg, and I do not trust it. $30 worth of stuff will now be going back, and that $30 will go towards something from the GCS to help the cause.

So on to another idea, since I am doing a brisket tonight. I have those disposable 17'' steam pans / chafing pans you'd use with a sterno to keep food hot. I also have a long rectangular BBQ Rack with handles that fits into these steam pans, and when placed inverted, the handles prop up the rack about 2'' off the bottom of the pan.

Could I put the rack into the pan, put the brisket on top of the rack, and smoke like that? I would not foil to cover the pan, I'd keep it open.

How, if in any way, would this drastically alter cook time or change in flavor? Would I still get burned crud at the bottom of the pan?

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I put an aluminum foil "hammock" in my drip pans that keep the juices off the bottom of the aluminum pans and reduces/eliminates any burning. I have a platesetter that I nestle the aluminum into when doing briskets. Apprently you don't have a platesetter so will need to create a barrier that can withstand the lump temps. Aluminum won't work as the barrier unless kept with liquid in it which takes a huge amount of additional energy.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Liquids have a tendancy to pick up more smokiness than solid foods. I know some people use drippings from smokers for use as gravy, jus, etc but I choose not to.
    Also, it is common practice to braise the brisket in the later stages of the cook, whether wrapped in foil, in a pan as you mentioned or even by transferring to a slow cooker. That would yield at least some juices that would be covered, lessening evaoporation and smoke flavor absorption.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    eggzlot,

What Tim said. Either that or make some 1" foil balls and set one aluminum pan in another. You can put a little liquid in to help as well.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC02849.jpg

I agree.... and even if he doesen't braise, some liquid added (in the form of jazzed up broth) to the foil before it rests for a few hours will make some great dipping liquid.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • eggzlot
    Options
    thanks for all the quick replies!

I do have a plate setter. And I've tried the foil balls sitting on top of the plate setter, then a drip pan, but I still get plenty of burned liquid. Plus, between the plate setter and the foil balls, there is almost no room for a decent size drip pan to fit into that small area.

I think I am going to attempt to cook it in the pan with the rack so the brisket stays out of the juices, but i catch the juices.

I would hope the juices do not burn in that pan?? Is that a safe assumption?
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    You say that you have had issues with the juices burning up, but yet you are hoping that a rack in the pan and brisket on the rack will prevent it?
    Not trying to be argumentative, just dont see the logic.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    unless im making turkey gravey and was adding liquid during the cook i dont use drippings from the pan, especially from a low and slow. i do wrap sometimes in foil after a cook and let it sit in a cooler, i do use those drippings that for m in the foil in the cooler
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    16666d6f.jpg

DSC08423a.jpg

Say, what is your plan with these pan drippings? Like a couple of the others, I've never done anything with them either, but I have a lot of experience with the fact that briskets start to sweat after about 4 hours. These ones above have about 1/4 cup of surface juice that accumulates before each turn. And I know when cleaning up after the fact, fat plays a big part of the mess. In fact, even the "added foil liquid" will produce quite a bit of beef jelly and a layer of surface fat when it is chilled overnight. So I was just wondering.

Now, don't get me wrong, in addition to fats, a brisket will produce juice... take a look at this one which was entirely cooked in foil, with no additional juice added ever.

DSC09767a.jpg

I have done something when cooking a bunch of butts that you might consider.... I've actually gotten my drip pans so full that I was afraid of a pit fire so I used a bulb baster to suck out the liquid that had accumulated. I didn't follow through and try to separate it or anything, but it's something to think about.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    I put an extra large oval (disposable) aluminum pan on the crossbars of the Adjustable Rig. (Brisket on BGE grid on top, of course.) I use the spider with a pizza stone instead of a plate setter. There is plenty of airspace between the stone and the drip pan. I line it anyway. I had to do a lot of shopping before finding a pan that was the right size and shape to fit in the AR. When I did, I bought four of them.
  • eggzlot
    Options
    I am trying to catch and keep the natural beef juices to make a Au Jus sauce at the end to dip/pour onto the brisket as a finishing sauce.

Like I've said, in the past I've made attempts to just catch the juice from Butts, did not plan on using those juices, but did not want them to burn and potentially effect the taste of the meat because of the horrid smell. I have not been too successful in preventing the burning of the liquids.

I am hoping since the big pan will be sitting on the grid, and I'll prop it up with tin foil, that it will be high enough off a surface and hopefully will prevent any liquid burning.

I'll be taking plenty of pictures, and I'll share my results tomorrow. Hoping to get the Brisket on within the next 20 minutes or so.

It is a 12 lb packer brisket, my first brisket. I am leaving about 12-16 hours to hopefully finish the cook.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    your not going to keep the liquids from a brisket in a pan from fully evaporating at cooking temps over 12 hours unless you keep adding liquid. there may be fat in the pan, but the broth will be all gone
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • eggzlot
    Options
    I am trying to catch and keep the natural beef juices to make a Au Jus sauce at the end to dip/pour onto the brisket as a finishing sauce.

Like I've said, in the past I've made attempts to just catch the juice from Butts, did not plan on using those juices, but did not want them to burn and potentially effect the taste of the meat because of the horrid smell. I have not been too successful in preventing the burning of the liquids.

I am hoping since the big pan will be sitting on the grid, and I'll prop it up with tin foil, that it will be high enough off a surface and hopefully will prevent any liquid burning.

I'll be taking plenty of pictures, and I'll share my results tomorrow. Hoping to get the Brisket on within the next 20 minutes or so.

It is a 12 lb packer brisket, my first brisket. I am leaving about 12-16 hours to hopefully finish the cook.