Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stainless steel "soap" WORKS!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've known for several years there is some "magic" of rubbing a piece of stainless steel over your hands under running water to remove the odors of fresh garlic, onions and even fish. I've had a round piece of stainless bar that works but seems awkward to handle and my wife doesn't care for the heavy weight so she won't use it. Today I bought this "soap" from our local Menard's for a mere $4.00.
IMG_2133.jpg

IMG_2134.jpg

I peeled two huge cloves of garlic bare handed tonight and then diced them to tiny pieces. Then I smelled my hands, then "washed them" with this bar and there was NO odor! AMAZING!

BTW if you have a Menards near by here's even a greater value - buy it in the next 2 days for $4 and then send in the rebate form and get your $4 back!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I've always wondered, thanks for the testimonial...got to get one now.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Ron:

Thanks for the tip!

Next time I am at the far terminal (North Platte,NE), I'll have to go to the Menards there.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Never heard of this before, will have to see if I can get this around here.

Thanks!
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Always just rubbed our hands onthe stainless sink. If anyone has one, saves the trip to the store. ;)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Ron,

Tell me why you would want to get garlic off your hands B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Even better! :)
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    warning: stainless steel soap contains chromium, a chemical known to the state of california to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm :laugh: been in tackle boxes as long as i can remember.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I LIKE the smell of garlic and onions. :) And the fish I buy doesn't smell like fish. :laugh: :laugh:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    I did not know that about stainless steel.
    Thanks for the tip.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Interesting....
    Will it take the "burn" away after cleaning hot peppers too?? That would be good. :whistle:
  • No Trash
    No Trash Posts: 73
    Options
    I have been using a stainless steel spoon to remove the smell because I do not have a stainless steel sink. You can also use a spoon when you brush your teeth to get rid of the onion or garlic breath. I just brush as normal and before is rinse I rub a spoon inside my mouth (I may have shared to much) TMI.... :blush:

But.... it works..
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    eggzactly, man. far more dangerous than galvanized stuff ever could be.
    reminds me... now, about those chem trails.

hahahaha
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    Options
    EVERYTHING contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm. :silly:

California is weird. :P
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    had a good friend move there 20 years ago, just moved back, i think they are right cause he is not :ermm: i believe the state of california is harmful all in itself :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    that explains alot of their behavior!....lol....
  • MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    Options
    Never heard or seen this before.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Can you rub it on your lips and arsh! :laugh:

Do you need one for each. :laugh:
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Don't know about stainless steel, but I've used "Goop" or at least that's what I think it's called. It definitely took the burn out last year when I got carried away making Jalapeno Peach jam....It's an automotive type hand cleaner - my husband keeps it around and I use it more than he does! :)
  • Clavin
    Clavin Posts: 91
    Options
    I just (carefully) use a chef's knife that is normally in my hand after chopping garlic.

Works like a charm..... who knows why.
  • grillmandan
    grillmandan Posts: 270
    Options
    Just a stainless steel bolt will work... Been doing this for years as I own a couple of pool supply stores. Need to get that chlorine smell of your hands.
    We have a stainless steel bolt at all sinks in the stores. Works like magic!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I understand and what works is great...just not sure some of our wives want a bolt laying on the counter by their sink! At least this thing looks shiny and kinda cool!

BTW ever since I was a kid I have always had a tube of toothpaste in every tackle box I've ever owned. Talk about something that removes the smell of fish on your hands after cleaning them that really works! OTOH over the years I have gotten some mighty strange "first time" looks!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options
    I too used to have a similar item but over the years have just resorted to something stainless in the environs sink, saucepan, cutlery or whatever.
    But now to my point. Have recently lost my garlic press - an aluminium Zyliss wonder. It has been superseded by a lesser model as I understand it so I have ended up with a Kuhh Rikon one that boasts stainless bits that do the work.
    Will this affect the garlic I press with it? or is it just the garlic/skin adherence?