Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to grill filets?

Options
Dimple's Mom
Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We're doing filet's tonight for dh's birthday dinner and I'm wondering if there are any 'techniques' other than just slapping them on there at a moderately high heat (550?) and grilling them to 135?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    hot tub... IMHO
    sear is shorter (time required to hit 135 interior), and so the overcooking (just underneath the sear) is minimized
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Do you have a link for instructions? Naturally the search engine on this site is useless.

I have also looked over at TNW site but haven't come up with the exact instructions.
  • stike
    Options
    you are asking the wrng guy for exact intructions. haha

if i were doing them, i'd throw a pair each into a ziploc bag, suck the air out, and submrge in hot tapwater. hot.

usually in a bowl.

i don't time it, or bother with taking the temp. all i'm trying to do is take the chill off and raise the entire steak to well above room temp.

as they are warming, i light the egg and putter around, probably changing the water out at least once because it will cool. refill the bowl with hot water as needed. maybe 20 minutes to a halfhour max in the tiub.

then, they get salted/peppered and tossed on. cook to your liking as far as the sear goes, couple minutes maybe. then take their temp. i'm usually around the target. if not, you can move them to a less-hot spot and let them roast a bit.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Here's how I hot tubbed ribeyes since I lack the "hot tub" :laugh:

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2010/01/hot-tubbed-steaks-cast-iron-grates.html

I haven't tried it with fillets though. The hour should be more than enough time. Also, I was probably being over doing the process a bit since it was my first time.

Probably easier to do it like stike said.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i like to tie them with something, be it string or tightly wrapped bacon, keeps them standing instead of flattening out and tipping. the baconn looks nice. bernaise sauce works good too, fillets dont have all the flavor, butter doesnt hurt. these are trexed

af4fe4a7.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Stike, thanks for the 'how to.' We do have a hot tub but it's currently not filled with water. Needs to have all the slugs cleaned out first and I'm tired of being the one to do it!

Nibble Me, I love your blog! Do you use blogspot or wordpress or??? Very nicely done. Inspires me to ost on mine more often. (http://livinginlangley.blogspot.com/) And to get my camera fixed. I'm going to make the gorgonzola butter. I've had that in a restaurant and love it.

Fishless, I think I might use one of my new rubs on the steaks tonight for a little extra flavor boost. Altho I do like a good filet with just S&P.

Thanks, everyone!
  • stike
    Options
    i wouldn't actually use a hot tub, FWIW. it's a nice sight gag, but i wouldn't want any of it near the steak. just one man's 2cents
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Okay, so he came home with a flat iron steak instead of filets. :angry:

Anyway, how should I cook the flat iron? Can you 'hot tub' those as well?
  • stike
    Options
    yeah. yer just warming it even more than the fabled (and rarely achieved) "room temperature"

gives you much better cross section of your desired internal temp, rather than a small core of 'perfect' surrounded by a lot of 'overdone'
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Well, we had the flat iron. It was pretty good but a bit overcooked on the ends. I forgot to hot tub it! I was so busy trying to burn off mold in the egg, make the rest of the dinner with no help, that I completely forgot about putting them meat in a water bath. I was so mad at myself. Maybe next time. I do want try that technique.