Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

whiskey still

ranger ray
ranger ray Posts: 812
edited November -1 in Off Topic
anybody out there have any experience making home made whiskey? i going to buy a small still that belonged to a friend;s grandfather....it's home made and all copper.... i'm guessing that it might make a gallon or two..... ( it's small).... thanks! ray

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you won't find many peple admitting to it onlne. most websites speak hypothetically. it can be done...

i've investigated it, but ultimately, i still buy mine already bottled. hahaha
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ranger ray
    i thought if you made less than 200 gallons per year...it's considered for personal consumption....i'm not worried about the fed.... just worried making some hooch that can hurt me!..( hypothetically)...i'm an old shop teacher.... i have that DYI thing in my blood.... people ask me all the time.... "how can yu have went from teaching? and then to law enforcement?"...... i really don't see much of a change except that i got to carry a gun....( and much better pay).. lol.... ray
  • stike
    beer, no problem. wine, some restrictions.

distilled spirits?

"You cannot produce spirits for beverage purposes without paying taxes and without prior approval of paperwork to operate a distilled spirits plant. [See 26 U.S.C. 5601 & 5602 for some of the criminal penalties.] "
  • ranger ray
    wow!.... thanks! for the info...maybe i won't buy it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    i dont think theres a big task force out there looking for a guy making a gallon :laugh: :laugh: true, its not legal, but......

100_1709.jpg

i think it could be done :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    well... not merely 'illegal', it's a felony.

not that we probably haven't got a few felonies among us all here :laugh: