Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday Night Fish Fry

Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is better than going out to eat because I can cook fish in the egg and stay home. Tonights fish fry is super fresh Canadian walleye. Firm, flaky, mild walley has got to be my favorite fish of all time. And what a treat it was this evening. Guinness Stout was my drink of choice, DianaQ had Riesling called "Relax".
A big thanks goes to Canadian fishermen pullin nets out of holes in the lake ice. :cheer:
Cheers!

BGECanadianWalleye0001.jpg

BGECanadianWalleye0002.jpg

Fish is good for you.

Comments

• Lovely. I can't get that fish around here. But I can imagine the taste! Way better than going out!~
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Love the color Clay,, I'm thinking of doing some fish at the fest
  • Wow...That looks delicious...I'm jealous
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    You just Flung a Cravin on me!That looks PERFECT.I have heard that walleye is the BEST fish there is.I've never tasted it.If it is better than Crappie it should be illegal! :woohoo:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Clay,

I knew I loved you for more than your good looks. We call it pickerel but no worries. ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    That looks great. What did you use for batter?
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Clay Q
    Crappie is great. Perch even betta. But fresh cold water walley... :woohoo:

Hey Hoss, tomorrow I'm smokin Elk fatties. This may be really BIG. Just think of the possibilities; Venison fattie, wild turkey fattie, wild boar fattie, goose fattie, possum fattie. :ohmy: :lol:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    :laugh: I LOVE IT!If'in ya need some possums,I know a guy! :laugh: ;)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Dammit Hoss!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Clay Q
    A seasoning in a blue and red plastic bag called, Louisiana Fish Fry Products, Seasoned Fish Fry.

What I did; Dump 1/3 of the seasoning in a paper grocery bag and then drop in 3 pieces of fish. I shake the bag to coat the fish. Remove the coated fish and drop in 3 more pieces of fish to coat. The seasoning is great, not too salty, not too spicy and leaves a thin coating with a nice crunch. I pan fried in canola oil- enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan about 1/16 of an inch. Cooked until 155 internal. Perfect.
    www.louisianafishfry.com
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    that's some nice lookin' fish.

it's been a while, but I like walleye
    context is important :)
  • LDD
    Little Steven wrote:
    Clay,

I knew I loved you for more than your good looks. We call it pickerel but no worries. ;)

Steve

yes we do... and I blame druken old fishermen of the past for that one... ;)

they realy dropped the ball :unsure:
  • Egger 4 6
    Egger 4 6 Posts: 26
    What temp did you cook. I know when you deep fry, too hot is not good and too cold is not good? You've just inspired me!! I have some crappie and an XL looking for something to do!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Thanks for the recipe and directions. Will be trying that soon with some local catch.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Clay Q
    :) Crappie in an Xlarge egg, you got plenty of room to cook! Everybody should eat more fish, the health benefits are one reason, the other is fish can taste so good off the egg. Winter crappies are delicious.

Here's what I did. Fired up the egg and got it going to 400 degrees dome with cast iron grid on fire ring. Used a cast iron skillet 12" wide with the handle cut off, my favorite fish cooker. After the skillet warmed up sitting on the grid for about 10 minutes I was ready to cook.
    I dumped the seasoning in a paper grocery bag, dropped in the fish and 'shake'. Went out to the egg and added the canola oil to coat the pan about 1/16" deep. Let the oil heat up about 2 minutes then placed the fish in skin side up. Brown for about 2 minutes then flip to skin side down. This gets the fish golden and crispy all over. Cook until 150-l55 internal and remove to a warm plate. Then dig in!
    Crappies will cook fast because they are thin.
    Good luck, have fun and enjoy fish off the egg!
  • Clay Q
    Also, better for the house to cook fish outside! Another benefit of owning an egg.
    Buy the freshest fish from a good fish monger because old fish is just not worth it. I'm also staying away from China fish that's flooding the markets because of lower prices China offers. Much of Chinese waters is polluted. :S
    If you can get your hands on Canadian walleye, Great Lakes whitefish and trout, Alaskan River salmon then you're in for a treat. And lets not forget U.S.A. raised catfish and rainbow trout. Good stuff. Farm raised salmon is ok but not as good as wild.
    Have fun and enjoy fish cooked in your egg! :cheer:
  • Clay Q
    Pickerel...that's a Northern. :whistle: Catch a small one and we call them ax handles.
    Walleye is walleye, no mistake about it. ;) Yeah no worries as long as the fish are biting.

Good looks?..HA
  • Clay Q
    Yummmmy. Good idea!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    you guys are funny, we call pickerels ...pickerel, we call pike.....pike, and we call walleye..... walleyes. wheres the confusion :laugh: nice looking cook, wish walleye liked our waters, we get some nice fillets off the white perch but not like walleye
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Whoa, nice job on that. Walleye is one of my favorites too.... the problem is trout will bite me all day long, walleye just laugh at me.

Since you like it, here is another recipe to try. This dude posts on one of the fishing forums I hang around on, and this has been a favorite of mine for years. It's fair to say that you can substitute other cold water white fish with excellent results. Instead of Old Bay, I like DP's Tsunami Spin for a change up.

dsc02073aLL.jpg

Walleye Cakes Cheffrey
    Corporate Chef
    Odyssey Resorts

When I make fish cakes I like to do my best to keep the fish chunky so the cakes have a little character. Here is the recipe for the ones I do at Larsmont Cottages:

Walleye Cakes
    3 lbs. Walleye (broiled)
    1 large carrot shredded
    2 stalk celery diced
    ½ medium red onion diced
    4 cups panko (bread crumbs)
    2 cups mayo
    1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
    S&P

Bake off your fish with a little salt, pepper & olive oil. Allow it to cool prior to mixing the ingredients. I like to add the fish last and mix everything with my hands only lightly breaking it up. Once mixed I use a ice cream scoop to portion and hand patty to form. Saute in a little bit of olive oil or egg wash, bread crumb and fry. Your choice.
    Enjoy!

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Looks really good
    One of my favourites :)

Shane
  • Clay Q
    Just saw some fresh perch where I bought the walleye at the fish monger store. Next time! White perch will be running in the Wolf River later this spring and my buddy will be picking me up for a fishing trip. When they bite you can fill a bucket in short order.
    We call white perch, white perch. :P
  • fishlessman
    i neeed to spend more time fishing perch and crappie, love a good fish fry. i never fish for them open water but this year im looking forward to it.

003-9.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    ever try freezing those
    fukahwee maine

• MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    One fish I wish I had more access to in the south. Can't wait to try frying fish in the egg. I guess you have to use the oil very lightly in the pan.
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Nice Looking fish.Growing up in Ohio walleye and perch were the favorites.For those who are looking for a source for walleye and yellow and lake perch,try:
    www.walleyedirect.com.
  • MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    Thanks for the link. I always enjoy having walleye when I am up north. Great to know I can order some for home delivery.
  • LDD
    fishlessman,

LMAO... great pic!

drunken fish :woohoo:
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Never frozen them, but they reheat just fine.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery