Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stuffed egg arrangment

durangodoug898
durangodoug898 Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,

Ok, it's a dome. But this is the forum I've been reading for years and am familiar with.

I have in progress four boneless pork shoulders in my dome. What does everyone think of my meat and probe placement? The reason I ask is my dome and probe temps are pretty different, where they usually are not far off from each other. Dome reads 250, and the probe reads 190. I've just checked to make sure the probe is not touching anything to throw it off. Is having the meat all around the perimeter going to skew my cooking environment? Should I break the rules and get in there to re-arrange? Could I stand them on their ends?

My set-up is indirect with a guru for control and a 12" dutch oven lid as a heat shield.

DSCN0112.jpg

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    if the fire isnt out of control, i would keep cooking, the temps should get closer as they cook and the meat gets hotter
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    cook on,, if I see it right your probe is surrounded by cooler meat, The temp gap should close longer into the cook.
  • I like that reasoning. I think I might hold the probe down, at say 195, then ramp it up to 220 after a bit once the meat isn't having such an effect on the probe reading. Thoughts?
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Didn't realize it was a dome cooker, sorry. ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Why do you ask? I didn't notice any tears.......

(Sorry.......I just had to.....)
  • Scottborasjr
    ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Is there no forum for the Dome?
    Wondering.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • My reasoning was that the probe is reading low because the meat is taking up all the energy before the probe can read it, and therefore cooking the meat faster than I might want. Or does the rate of meat temperature rise not matter until later when connective tissues are breaking down?
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Don't leave, I think your grill is cool. It was going to be my first ceramic, but I found an egg first. Stick around, show your cooks, I don't think people mind what your cooking on.
  • Thanks, I'll stay : )
  • Scottborasjr
    Sorry man, was watching basketball more then paying attention to the computer. I just happened to see a blue "egg" and wondered. Didn't notice you said it was a dome in your first post. Stick around, more then enough BBQ knowledge to share ;):)
  • cookn biker
    It is not the same cooker, nor brand. Just stating that.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • You're right, but that's not what I pointed out. The shape (a measurement) and the methods (more measurements) are very similar. Similar enough not to hijack threads over. My valid question still lingers.
  • cookn biker
    I just stated something. If you think this hijacking... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Cook on man!!! ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • I'm sorry biker. It wasn't your comment. It was a combination of everybody's comments. I shouldn't have been so defensive.

But for my question, I'll update with how it goes.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Doesnt really matter what brand it is as far as the question goes, you could have easily taken a closer up shot and nobody would have noticed anything.
    Hope the shoulders turn out well.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I think you will be fine.The dome temp is 250,let it ride.The probe close to all that mass of meat is'nt gonna read true for a while.I would suggest to trust the dome if you know it is calibrated correctly and maybe just put a probe IN the meat to tell you when it hits desired Internal temperature. :) Good luck!
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Arrangement is fine, keep on smokin. I've always had good luck with a 250 dome temp. At grid the temp is a little lower so you should be fine. Looks like you are in for a long overnighter. Have fun!
    Tip; You can buy a good drip pan and use it for indirect setups from this place.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    sounds like you've got some good points up top..

would like to see some pics of the finished product.
    context is important :)