Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokey Onions

Options
FSM-Meatball
FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made some smoky onions for burgers the other day.

Small Cast iron pan, cut up onions, butter, salt and pepper. Threw it on the back of the grate before the burgers and let them sit while I cooked.

Turned out smooth, sweet and smoky. They were good on burgers.

5557227889_e788d72ff5.jpg

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    YUM!,We LOVE em! ;)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Smoked onions on a hamburger......can't get any better
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    3c46850c.jpg

On your next long cook with butts or brisket, try and squeeze a whole onion or two on the grate, and cook until they are soft. Really good as a side dish, or to add to a stock. A side effect is that they add a subtle amount of moisture to the cooker (not that an Egg needs extra moisure). Over the course of a 15 or 20 hour cook on the Old Ironsides pit, we will go through a sack of onions, replacing them throughout the cook.

Another good thing to try is using a small Spanish onion in the coals in place of flavor wood.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Fried onions are the best! Smoked even better.

Those look fantastic.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Those look good, we love them!!
  • reccitron
    reccitron Posts: 176
    Options
    thirdeye wrote:

Over the course of a 15 or 20 hour cook on the Old Ironsides pit, we will go through a sack of onions, replacing them throughout the cook.

How long do you smoke the onions? Can you over smoke or over cook them them if you leave them on the whole time a butt is cooking?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Well, just like a butt.... cook them "toothpick tender", this will take 4 hours or so. If they are on too long (like all night) they are so tender they will slip out of the skin when you pick them up, these are too mushy for me.

So, what we do is put several on at a time, then when they are done they get wrapped in foil (and refrigerated) and replaced with new ones. I try to time the last batch of them to be ready with the meat, then we cut in half add a pile of onion petals on the end of the serving pan.

If you want you can doctor them with a little sprinkle of Herb Ox, but they are pretty good and sweet on their own.

DSC00201a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Options
    Thirdeye, your my hero. That's some good lookin' cookin' on that pic..
  • MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    Options
    We love to do vidalia onions (when available) and sweet onions on the egg. I like to cook them right on the grate with a little light rub of olive oil and some DP seasoning.