Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

$200 for a Mini?

Options
Helluva Engineer
Helluva Engineer Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been considering getting a mini to use for tailgating and traveling. I found a used one for sale for $200 and requested information on the age and asked about any cracks or damage. Is $200 too much for a used mini? What are they going for new with a lifetime waranty? Pics of the $200 mini below. Does this belong to anyone on here? Thanks for the help.

3ne3p73l45V45P55R2b3o97e3d79944b21d04.jpg

3k53p13ld5V05Z65X0b3o2f321bef04961682.jpg

Comments

• Austin Egger
    Options
    I don't see many used ones so I am not sure how much they go for. The new mini's around here are going for $350+ at most shops. There is one local shop that is selling his old ones (with full warranty) for $250. In searching around, the mini seems to have the biggest price difference for their size and cost. My advice is of course to go to the BGE website and type in your zip code and give all of the dealerships around you a quick call. I of course plan to win one at the Salado fest tomorrow :laugh: Good luck! :)
  • Helluva Engineer
    Options
    Thanks, I have been doing some serious searching of the forums and notice that the hinge on this one is a great deal different than what I am seeing on newer eggs. I think I can get a new one for $50-$100 more. Think I will call around and see what the dealers are saying.
  • Austin Egger
    Options
    Yeah, it sounds like some other eggheads have been able to get the newer hinges for free from the mothership, but paying for the shipping. I dunno for sure though.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Dude- $200 is great! I think New Minis that are going for $250 are last year's model and hard to find.

are there any shipping costs or can you pick it up? Shipping these things gets expensive.

You will always hear about someone else getting a better deal somewhere, but in the mean time the deals have gone and the price is only getting higher.
    I would just do it.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I personally don't think $200 is a great deal (I saw that posted a couple days ago and its still there). I got mine for $100 on CL. There is something different on that mini than mine. The grate sites really low in that mini compared to mine almost like there isn't a fire ring or something. My mini is fairly old though. If you notice on my mini to get the new band to fit I had to run gasket all the way around the inside of the band so the diameter has changed a little on the newer minis. I know the add says firm but try to talk him down a little.

Picture224.jpg

Fiance042.jpg
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    My dealer is selling mini w/ stand for $460 plus tax so I thinks it's a good deal
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    Kentucky Wildcat Fan wrote:
    My dealer is selling mini w/ stand for $460 plus tax so I thinks it's a good deal

dayum that seems high.

i think i paid about $135 for my mini, new from the dealer.
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I agree. I got mine for $250 last year.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    Options
    Priced one today new---$399---ouch! Saw that one on Atl craiglist too...I considered it, but I think better deals are out there....I'll hang tite B)
  • PFSmith
    PFSmith Posts: 34
    Options
    The two BGE dealers in Birmingham quoted me $349 for the mini. I stopped in at a dealer in Cullman and bought their last one from last year's stock for $249. I would have paid $200 for a used in good condition if I could have found one locally before I found the new one up the road. Isn't there a site that is something of a "Green Book" for pricing BGE's?

Pat
  • BGElovr
    BGElovr Posts: 83
    Options
    I bought a mini used off CL and paid $140. The owners had a "new old" hinge and the SS vent that they had not put on yet. I thought I got a good deal.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I paid $250 for mine at least 2 years ago and that was the best price I could get and better than most of the deals I was hearing about on this board.

If it's more important for you to get the best price ever on a Mini, then by all means keep looking. If you actually want one to cook on, $200 is a good price.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You did good Pat!
  • Helluva Engineer
    Options
    Thanks for all of the help. I had some family in-town this weekend and never got a chance to follow-up after I called the owner. The ad is no longer on CL so he must have sold it.

I got my large unassembled in Clayton for a great deal so I am going to try to get in touch with them about their mini prices.