Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoked

Options
thechief96
thechief96 Posts: 1,908
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just picked up my stoker. Now I just have to figure out how to use it. Trying to set it up and can't get an IP address that will come up on my computer. Hooked it directly to my router. Comes up with one that says:
010.000.000.004 :S
Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    If you hook it directy to your computer you must use a flip or reverse cable or adapter.(can't remember proper name)
    If you do not have one you must run it through your router.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • thechief96
    Options
    I don't have a cross over cable but did connect direct to the router and that is the IP address that shows on the stoker.Just won't bring up the page on my computer when I enter it.
  • FSM-Meatball
    Options
    What is the IP Address of your computer?
    10.0.0.4 is a valid address, but it might not be your network.

to find your IP
    Start->run->cmd enter
    type ipconfig enter
    it will show your ip address. If you are 10.0.0.x then you can talk to it.

If you connect direct to your PC you wont need a crossover cable if your PC has a gigabit ethernet card. But you will have to assign a static IP Address to your PC. use something like 10.0.0.5
  • FSM-Meatball
    Options
    I just looked at the docs, it should get an address from your router by default. It will be in the same range as your PC.

So if your PC is 192.168.1.10 the stoker should be 192.168.1.xx

Try restarting the stoker so it gets a new address
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    There is an abnormal time delay before my page comes up to the stoker page.
    At first I thought I had a problem because I was not giving it enough time to refresh and connect.
    Sounds like you are doing it correct as long as you do not have the Stoker running direct to your computer.
    Sounds like you are doing it all right.
    Hard to trouble shoot w/o having mine in front of me.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • thechief96
    Options
    Thanks I will do this when I get off of work.
  • thechief96
    Options
    I know the feeling. I'm just glad I remembered the IP address. As far as page coming up, it comes up with some sort of problem.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    I do remember that it "does" matter what device you power up first for the IP's and you need to always follow that order in the future. Once it's correct you can book mark your IP page just like you would any other web site.
    You are very close to Stoker Company. Try and give them a call when you can sit down in front of the unit.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • thechief96
    Options
    I know I am. I picked it up from them. Just seemed pretty easy to do. But what do I know, I'm in construction. :laugh:
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    FSM-Meatball is right. Your Stoker should show up on the router as part of the range your router assigns for the network. The Stoker should have a unique mac address on it's info tag on the back or bottom and you can look for that particular mac address to know what is what. My blu-ray, my home Stereo and printer all behave the same way as I expect the Stoker should. They all appeared in the router network list within seconds of being plugged in.

Good luck, I'm looking forward to getting one ... once they make a wifi version.
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    Connecting to the router is the right thing to do.

Getting the IP address of you computer (assuming you have a PC - I don't know anything about Macs) is the next step. This was correctly outlined above. The IP address of interest will be labeled as IPv4 or just IP Address. If the router is a home unit and has not been reconfigured, the IP address should be something like 192.168.XX.XX.

Most home routers have 1 RJ45 connector intended to connect to the modem supplied by your internet provider. There should be at least 4 other RJ45 jacks and your computer should be plugged into one of these. Your Stoker will be plugged into another of these 4.

Next, make sure your stoker is turned off. Plug the CAT5 cable from the back of the Stoker to one of the 4 RJ45 jacks.

Turn on the Stoker. Wait. Wait some more. The DHCP client in the Stoker is a bit slow sometimes.

If everything is working as it should, the Stoker's IP address should be available about 20 or 30 seconds after the unit has been turned on and the first three groups of this address should be the same as your computer. If this is not the case, you need to find yourself a kid (8 to 12 years old) to set things up for you.
  • thechief96
    Options
    Thanks Scott, I'm sure there are some kids in my neighborhood. :laugh:
  • thechief96
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I wish it was wifi also.
  • FSM-Meatball
    Options
    The way automatic address assignment works (DHCP) is that it does hand out addresses in an order like 192.168.1. 2,3,4,5,etc... But it also remembers what address a specific device had last and tries to give that out first. The reality is that in the order of starting things up really can't control the address it receives because of other factors including how long it has been off the network.

If you want to always now what the address of an important device is, just set it to a static address. Choose something high in the range which is between 1 and 254. Most routers only hand out about the first 50 addresses so if you assign .100 to your stoker you will be good.

Sorry to geek out, but this is what I do for a living.
  • thechief96
    Options
    I really appriciate your help. As a matter of fact I just plugged in the stoker checked the assigned ip address and did absolutely nothing different than yesterday and guess what...it worked. :angry:

Now if you have a roofing question I'll answer that for you. :woohoo:
  • thechief96
    Options
    Thanks everyone for there help. It is now working. :)
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Good news. I love mine. I will use it without the fan to simply monitor my temps. Also, I have forward a port on my router so I can check status when out and about. Good luck.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    You are going to love the Stoker

The way I fire up my XL Egg is start a very small fire in the center of the lump, turn on Stoker and when I know for sure that a few of the coals have started, I put in the plate setter, close the lid and wait until it has reached my set temp

I have been doing it this way for two and it works great
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    Just curious, why do you use it without the fan?
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    Heh heh heh... ;) a mac address had nothing to do with Mac computers. ALL networkable products have a unique mac addy to identify themselves to a network. it looks something like this - 00-0C-F1-56-98-AD and knowing it is the easiest way to identify something that is operating through your home network. Open your router's page up and you may even find that your neighbor is using your wifi network to get free net access.... "Hey wait a minute, I don't recognize that mac addy!" :angry:
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    My son was great this last Christmas and got me one of these a NETGEAR WNCE2001 Wireless WiFi Adapter, making my Stoker a WiFi device:

116502_sk_lg.jpg

They're not cheap, but I've not had a problem with it. It seems to always connect to the router and always ends up with an IP address (thus it work!).

Note: Have absolutely no affiliation with Netgear - just, in this one case, a very happy customer.
  • Braumiester
    Braumiester Posts: 134
    Options
    srq2625 wrote:
    My son was great this last Christmas and got me one of these a NETGEAR WNCE2001 Wireless WiFi Adapter, making my Stoker a WiFi device:

116502_sk_lg.jpg

They're not cheap, but I've not had a problem with it. It seems to always connect to the router and always ends up with an IP address (thus it work!).

Note: Have absolutely no affiliation with Netgear - just, in this one case, a very happy customer.

Ditto on the netgear device.

go to the link and Rob has several videos on stoker setup

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcxcfi_hEfE
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    Rob's videos posted above by Braumietser are all you need. There are six of them in total.