Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lowering Egg into table

AIM BBQ
AIM BBQ Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posted this yesterday on the table forum but didn't get an answer. I am finishing my table for lg egg. I am ready to lower into the hole...any suggestions? I really don't want to take off the front and two of the top boards. I enclosed three of the sides on the table so very difficult to handle.

Comments

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    well, you are going to take it completely apart, 2 people and do it carefully. be careful when lifting try not to lift with the bands. it could come off and you would drop the egg.
    One person has an advantage as he can lift with one arm inside the egg and lift from the lower vent.
    just get everything close to the table before putting it in as you dont want to carry it around.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Stevesails is correct. Lifting by reaching inside the Egg and grasping the lower vent opening is easy and more controlable than any other method short of taking the whole thing apart. Remove the insides first, of course.

Just place a towel on your arm and shoulder if the Egg (the best kind). Let the lid rest on your shoulder. Took me a few times to figure this out.

Spring "Lifting Gives Me Weggies" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Like the others have said. Take everything out of the inside and reach down through the base and grasp the bottom vent hole. Most of us set the egg down into the table on a 12 by 12 paving stone and then on the green feet. That setup allows air to flow under the egg and keep the table from getting to hot. Have a great first cook in your table. :)
  • AIM BBQ
    AIM BBQ Posts: 25
    Thanks, didn't think about reaching inside. The egg will rest on the feet which are sitting on a 21x21 slab of granite. I was hung up on the idea of using two cargo straps to lower down.
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    buy some bags of ice( i don't know how many).....till it gets close to the top.... put the egg in the hole on top of the ice..... the ice will melt... thereby lowering the egg slowly and gently in to place....easy eh? rr
  • ranger ray
    if there is a place to buy blocks of ice.....use those.... better yet...
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I hate to be a bubble buster.I had a table built when I received an egg.Made it with a hole(granite top and all).WRONG! Should have made an open front design that I saw later on the table forum.My egg now proudly resides in a NEST with Nesthandler.It will reside there for as long as I own it.WAY more user friendly.Now I have a cheap Weber Kettle sittin in a thousand dollar table!Live and Learn. ;):blush: But,to answer your question,what they said.Strip it neckid and call a friend. :)
  • madcooks
    madcooks Posts: 11
    Why didn't you put your egg in the table?
  • Hoss
    I did have the Egg in the table.I(me and two more guys)had to remove it so I could mobilize it to take to a comp cook.I bought the Nest/Handler to use to move it to the comp and back.The Nest/Handler was SO much easier to use that I filled the hole in the table that I HAD to have with a W.K. ;)
  • Hoss
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: If it works,it works! ;) Too funny!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Put the white plastic things on the band. Loosen the bottom bolt on the band and remove the top of the egg. Take the fire ring and fire box out and the bottom of the egg isn't that heavy. Drop that into the table, put the feet under it, and reassemble the egg. It's only 1 bolt to take it apart.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    We quite often move Eggs in and out of tables to transport. The PotLifter is perfect for two people to lift the whole Egg out and in. We don't take anything apart.
    Kent Madison MS
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    I lower my Egg into the table by:
    1) removing the dome and the firebox/firering.
    2) grab the egg from the inside by grabbing the lower vent.
    3) lift the Egg into the hole slowly lower.
    4) reassemble the Egg.

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • I used a pot lifter.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I used a Pot Lifter too and it worked great.
  • ranger ray
    as a train aficionado....such as yourself .... i'm sure you are aware of the fact that the melting ice blocks was the technique used in the old days to lower steam locomotives onto the wheels( before the days of electric hoists).... that's where i got the idea from.... i helped a pal lower a hot tub into an opening that was the precise( of the tub) size cut into the existing deck for a hot tub.... there was no room to put your hands between the tub and the wood( nobody wanted to be underneath the tub and lower it down on them...)...it saved the trouble of ripping up all of the decking.... and renting a boom truck/crane to lower it into the hole....rr