Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One

Options
Toy Man
Toy Man Posts: 416
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One glorious year ago our egg was ‘hatched’. (Or is it ‘laid’).[p]It has become the Toy Man’s #1 toy.[p]Lessons learned: (or more accurately – lessons I am learning)
Know your meat.
Know your butcher[p] Know your fire:
Two weeks after getting our egg, I knew how to control the fire/temp.
One month after getting our egg, I felt confident I could control the fire/temp
After one year, I MAY be beginning to understand fire/temp control.[p]Best accessory purchased: (tie)
Cotronic’s gasket.
MickeyT’s rings.[p]Best mod: Four 4.25” SS bolts to raise the grid. This puts the grid just above the opening level of the egg. Clipping the edge of the washer on the bottom side of the grid allows the bolts to stand straight. I use an old Weber grid as a lower grid on which I place a drip pan or a piece of foil for indirect cooks. I seldom use the plate setter anymore. [p]Hmm – I think the table I built might qualify for best mod also.[p]
Still needed: Something to clean behind the firebox. I am experimenting with several ideas based on posts from this great forum.[p]Food I need to learn how to cook better – ‘everything’.
But I am pretty good at pork ribs (which got me started on this journey a number of years and grills/cookers ago. Beef ribs are getting better. Pizza is ok but I still have a ways to go. And I recently got the kind of steak I like by doing a reverse T-Rex[p]**** – Toy Man

Comments

• Rafterdude
    Options
    Toy Man,
    How does that song go? Hmm, oh yeah. What a wild or is long
    strange trip its been. Eggin. Im sure there is a dead head somewhere that can help! Its been fun for sure!

• Rafterdude,
    Long, strange trip.
    Yessir, Eggin. We had to eat dinner at 11 AM (after having breakfast at 10) because I had to be at work at noon, I knew I wouldn't be back before midnight, and those two steaks (one silver tip, one round tip, both organic $5 a pound)I was marinating were calling our names not to mention the clamor the mini was making at the prospect of getting out and T rexing. 600, 4 minutes and dinner....yum!