Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 levels of pizza using AR??

Options
rutili
rutili Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Using an Adjustable Rig on the XL you could have 2 or 3 levels of pizza stones at 1 time.

Will the pizza's on the middle and bottoms stones cook the same as iff there were only one stone??

Has anyone done this.

Thanks in advance,

joe

Comments

• EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Options
    I think it would be verrrry hard to load the pies on to the lower stones
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I think doing more than one at a time even on the XL would be more work than it's worth.
    Cooking at a med to high temp (550-650) would get them off pretty quick.
    I would do them one at a time high in the dome and it would take less than 10 minutes a pie.
    This is from my XL last weekend.

XL setup and coming up to temp. About 550 here.
    Flip Ring holding platesetter with spacer and pizza stone on top.
    IMG_0786.jpg
    IMG_0791.jpg
    IMG_0799.jpg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Good pie man ;)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hungry Celeste
    Options
    I'm contemplating a similar setup, as I'm not satisfied with the top browning of my pizzas. Thinking of a stone atop the plate setter, with another stone elevated on a few bricks slightly offset from the first stone. Sure, it might be a little fiddly to load, but if it improves the top browning & speed of cooking, it will be worth it. When I get around to trying it, I'll post.
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    This was cooked on my Small BGE.
    Platesetter-stove top grid as spacer-pizza stone.
    I still wanted to get a little higher in the dome but after cooking a couple pizzas and a couple calzones I see there was no need. I did let the Small BGE heat up for almost an hour before I added the first pizza. Great heat off the dome. This was about 600-650.
    IMG_0822.jpg
    IMG_0814.jpg
    IMG_0804.jpg
    IMG_0806.jpg
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    Options
    That's a nice looking pizza. Looks like tasty crust!
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Thank you. It was all Zippylip's hard work on a great dough formula.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Pizza is a great cook on the Egg, but it is not all that simple, if you are looking to simulate a wood fired oven, get the high temps and quick cooking.

If you are above 600-650, I do not think that there is any way you would get even cooking on all levels and the pies cook fast enough that I am not sure you would gain all that much from the effort.

That said, if you are up to investig in pizza stones, there is not much to be lost from trying.

I cook with my plate setter, legs down and spacers to push the pizza stone higher in the dome for more even cooking.

13-02-11Spacers.jpg

05-02-11Pizza3.jpg

14-11-10Pizza2.jpg

Fred's technique (check out videos below) is different and he gets great results, but one pie at at time.

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/AboutUs.asp
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    What pizza stone do you use in your small?