Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Potato Gallete and T-Rex Filets (lots of pics)

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
happened to flip through a french cookbook the other day and found a recipe for a potato gallete that i figured would work well on the egg. . ..did up last night along with trex filets and it was wonderful. .. its easy and a little different. .. .[p]for the galette you need
1 pound of pototos really thin sliced
8 oz of mushroooms thick sliced (the recipe called for wild shrooms, but all i could find at the last minute was regular white shrooms- worked just fine though)
garlic
shallots
parsley[p]first, take the mushrooms, saute in olive oil till moisture starts to evaporate, add garlic shallots and parsley to taste (i also gave this a small splash of white wine) cook till all liquid is evaporated[p]DSCN0868.jpg[p]in a heavy skillet, heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil for about 1 minute, remove from heat and put about 1/2 of the potato slices in the pan overlapping each other[p]DSCN0869.jpg[p]salt and pepper this layer, then layer on all of the mushrooms[p]DSCN0870.jpg[p]then layer on the rest of the potatos and drizzle some olive oil on top of this. ..then put on a pretty hot stove top for about 8 - 10 minutes to brown the bottom layer[p]DSCN0871.jpg[p]while this is going on, i've preheated my large egg to 375 degrees with grid on top of inverted plate setter. .[p]take the skillet, put a sheet of aluminum foil over the potatoes and put something heavy on top of it to press it down (i used a ceramic bowl wrapped in foil. ...put this in the egg for approx 20 minutes[p]DSCN0874.jpg[p]now for the fun part, flipping the gallet. ..i took a large plate and held it on top of the skillet and turned the whole thing over... it fell onto the plate perfectly. . ..then you slide it back into the skillet, and then back into the egg for about another 10 = 15 minutes till the potatoes are nice and soft, but crispy on top. ..[p]DSCN0875.jpg[p]while this was going on i was t-rexing 3 nice 2inch thick tenderloins on the small[p]DSCN0873.jpg[p]here is the finished galette. . [p]DSCN0877.jpg[p]and here is dinner. ..nice thick medium rare steak with a crispy wedge of the galetter. .. man it was good!!!!![p]DSCN0879.jpg

Comments

• egghead2004
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    oh boy, another new trick to try at home.

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Absolutely beautimous![p]Ken

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    i see lots of good combos for that, been avoiding potatoes, but will need to try that. whats the pan size, i dont have one small enough for the egg, could try it in the lecrueset casserole,but the handle seems ncessary for the flipping

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]Seems like I saw Julia do one of thoes years back!! Man, that is bringing back memories!![p]Nice pics Max...as well as the "spot on play by play" !![p]Is the job for "Colour Commentator" still available!![p]I think you should plan to do the Texas Egg Fest...[p]you can help me tote home my Large!![p]Joes to ya![p]Evans[p]

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Greendriver
    Options
    Maxi million...you cook like a million, a virtual genius with an egg.[p]Chet

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Chubby,
    i'll sign you up for the play by play. . LOL[p]would love to make texas eggfest, but unfortunately not in the cards this year.. ..7 may is walk to cure diabetes (syney aka the spawn has type 1, and we always have a big walk team), and then 14 may is waldorf. .. . [p]one of these days though, one of these days. .. .

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    fishlessman,
    i think its a 9 inch lodge. .. .fits with plenty of room to spare. .. le creuset would work too. ...the flip is definitely the challenge though. .. if you have a plate or platter with a slightly large diameter than you pan, you simply place it on top and turn the whole thing over together. .. .

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Greendriver,
    thanks dewd. .. i keep forgettin that chet is hiding behind that new greedriver handle. ..[p]cheers[p]max