Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket burned off. 1 month old egg. Normal?

Options
lsutiger
lsutiger Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all. Had fire going strong (1000 degrees). Opened lid to place ribeyes on and the gasket was peeled half off melting in the middle of the Egg. Should this have happened? Was my fire too hot? Do you thing BGE will replace it for free? How much are replacement gaskets anyway? lots of questions. I emailed customer service but have not heard back yet.

Thanks!

Comments

• wkygriller
    wkygriller Posts: 408
    Options
    Bought my large from Eggtoberfest last year and the gasket was burned up when I received it after one day of cooking on it. Replaced mine with a Rutland and it is good to go. I have less than $20.00 in the new gasket and adhesive.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Keep with you that the fire down at the lump will be around 1100. So cook down there.
    Just can't see need of 1000 except to clean out and burn off gaskets.
    I have 3 eggs and NO gaskets and no thoughts of replacements.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Yes your local dealer should replace it for free...IMO spend a few dollars and but a Rutland gasket and the correct glue...search this forum and You Tube for how to install....and yes unfortunately this is a common problem.... :S
  • MusicMan78
    MusicMan78 Posts: 182
    Options
    yes it's normal, the gaskets are pretty much junk. Replacing the gasket on my mini as we speak :lol:

The one on my large has been holding on but I use that for more low and slow and the mini for the hot quick sear.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Gasket on my Large went 'Tango-Uniform' not very long after I purchased it almost 4 years ago (with no hi-temp stress). The seal is still OK, but I will eventually retro-fit with something other than the free replacement I got from BGE. Seams as though they should be able to fashion a mating seal with something that lasts less than a few months (at most)!! How much might that cost?
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Unformately yes it is normal.

You have several options

Replace with felt - not recommended
    Replace with Nomex - Okay but not as good as Rutland IMHO
    Replace with Rutland - Good
    Replace with Ultra Copper silicone - Good
    Replace with Coltronics - No experience but someone else may comment
    Geaux without gasket - Not my choice but the choice of many
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Unfortunately, on several new Eggs that I have seen lately, the gasket seems to be somewhat misaligned from the get-go which places a portion of the felt actually hanging inside the dome or base where it comes in direct contact with the fire on high temp cooks. My small was this way, and it went up in smoke after just a couple of cooks. I haven't replaced it. I recently gave away a Large and a Small as door prizes at a conference, and I saw this on them. I have to believe that this is a prime cause of all the burnt gaskets that most new owners are experiencing.

I would suggest that when/if you do replace it, that you back it off the inside edge of the dome/base a bit when installing. If flames can't lick it, then I don't believe it will burn.

Mike
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    The gasket on my large went for several years, but it was thin, flat and cracked long before I replaced it.

I put on a Nomex(R) gasket about the time I got into pizza and it eventually failed too. I am now cooking with a Rutland and love it.

When I got my small, I replaced the felt with a Rutland before I even cooked on it.
  • NCSU-Q
    NCSU-Q Posts: 104
    Options
    Not to pile on, but yes, it is an unacceptably too common occurrence, and it does not typically take temps anywhere close to where you were to cause it.

It should be noted that while many love their Rutland gasket, neither Rutland or BGE endorse the use of the Rutland on the egg because it is made of fiberglass that could get into your food. May or may not really be an issue... but you should know and make your own decision.

Mine failed within weeks of purchase, and after being given another cheap felt one from my dealer, I emailed corporate BGE and they sent me a Nomex one. I slapped it on and it has worked well for several years. So that's my official endorsement...

I still don't understand why they don't get rid of the felt altogether and just make/ship them with Nomex.
  • danshotspot
    Options
    Burnt mine off the first day. Replace it with a high temp. U would think they would put it on from the start. It's hell getting the old one off and cleaded up though! No problems with the high temp 8 months on there.
  • OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118
    Options
    Anybody using Nomex on the bottom only? I've had a Nomex on top and bottom for about 6 months and the bottom looks great, but the top is fading. It seems like one side should be sufficent, expecially since nomex is about twice as thick as the stock felt gasket.

I'm guessing nomex to nomex makes for a better seal than Nomex to ceramic, but it can't be that bad, can it?