Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Frog

Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,669
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is off-topic but I have never seen a frog like this in Texas before.
Could it be at some morph point in its life or is it some kind of new frog to the central Texas area, of have I had my head up my armpit :blink: and never noticed a real green frog before.
photo-7.jpg
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Looks like his Floridian cousin the Cuban Tree Frog.

http://www.wec.ufl.edu/extension/wildlife_info/frogstoads/osteopilus_septentrionalis.php

Got enough for dinner?

Frog Legs, Brettone

Frog Legs Brettone is one of Executive Chef Michael Orr's most noteworthy specialities. It is simple to prepare and makes an exquisite presentation. Since not too many cooks are about to cook down 50 pounds of veal bones to make Glace' de Viande, you can use a poor man's version using a package of brown gravy mix or a can of brown gravy reduced with four cans of comsomme. (To clarify butter, melt it slowly in a heavy pan. When melted, skim away the white froth that has risen to top, then pour off clear butterfat and discard milky residue in bottom of pan.)

INGREDIENTS:
    20 6-8 Ozs Fresh Florida Frog Legs
    3 Ozs Butter, Clarified
    Flour
    2 Tbs Chopped Parsley
    2 Tbs Capers
    Juice of 1/2 Lemons
    8 Ozs Mushrooms, Quartered
    3 Ozs Butter
    2 Tbs Glace' de Viande

Procedure:
    1 Dust frog legs in flour and saute in clarified butter until golden brown on both sides. Remove to platter to keep warm. Cordon frog legs with Glace' de Viande and sprinkle with lemon juice. Meanwhile, cook butter until nut brown, add mushrooms and capers ( about 1 minute ). Pour over frog legs, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve immediately.

Servings: 2

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: Park Plaza Gardens, Winter Park, Fl, 1985/05/25
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Mickey,

Looks like a plain ol' tree frog from here.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    It looks like a tree frog to me...used to see them a lot when we lived in FL.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Hope the deodorant was good Micky :P :whistle:
  • :laugh:
    think he's trying to morph into a Mini BGE?
  • MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    Looks like a tree frog. Fairly common in the south. They have very sticky pads so they can climb up anything. Can be very loud croaking at dusk!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Looks like you've stumbled across the deadly Mexican staring toad of southern Sri Lanka.

Beware, they are very scary and dangerous.
  • Mickey
    Richard I looked at the site you sent and it matches the: Green Treefrog (Hyla cinerea).
    Just never seen one in this area.
    Thanks
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Steve and Kim from what Richard sent, it is a green tree frog.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    green tree frog, heres a grey one. dont see many but you here them at night. this is what the camp sounds like after the sun goes down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKV5KsoDUQg&feature=fvwrel

DSC_0565.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Julie you understand that is not where my head generally is, in that place (per my wife) the deodorant is not a help :unsure:

• Mickey
    Kari your room beside the adults area is ready in Salado:
    photo-79.jpg

• Mickey
    Fidel how do you spatchcock a frog?

• Mickey
    fishlessman it is the green brother but just never noticed before here?

• Mickey
    MemphisQue you nailed it.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Ah, frog legs, the other white meat.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Apparently cooking them legs up is the hot new fad.... :P :woohoo: :lol: :silly:
  • Mickey
    Joan I guess we could each have a leg Saturday in Salado :ohmy: :whistle:

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    with a tiny pair of kitchen shears and a butt load of patience
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Hey Mickey

Fishless has the name right Green Treefrog but has a different species. You have a Hyla cinerea. Fairly common here in Florida but does have to compete with the introduced Cuban Treefrog. From the map on this page it appears that you are at it's most western limits.
    DSC_6446A_640.jpg

Here's the Cuban Treefrog just for the fun of it . . .
    DSCN7013A_640.jpg

These guys (Green Treefrogs) make good neighbors, I welcome them around my trailer cause they eat bugs. I have seen the population of the Cuban Treefrog reach epidemic proportions. Thicker than flea's. They would get in the house, in the car, every where. There would be a dozen or so on each window at night if the lights inside were on and attracting bugs. The Cubans are some what toxic and have the habit of peeing as they jump if you startle them. The Green's are much nicer to have around. :)

Blair

• Little Steven
    Gator,

We have them here and way north of here as well. I don't know if they are a different genus but they look just like the one Mickey has.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you don't. it would be spatchfrog. ;)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Don't you have something you need to be doing? :silly:

LR
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    :laugh: :laugh:
    good one Kim
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Hi Steve, Interesting, I have been looking on THIS SITE and haven't found it. Are you sure it is a tree frog? My personal experience is very limited but I have only seen these guys in the south. I would be interested in what you are seeing, if you ever have the chance some photos would be great. (I know . . . . bad time of year for that, lol)

Blair

• Mickey
    Why no Mike, why do you ask :unsure: :S

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Tree frog. Keep him moist.
  • Little Steven
    Blair,

If only you had asked yesterday before the foot of snow :laugh: The ones I have seen are the straight green colour. I have heard that some can change their colour for camouflage.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    We spend quite a bit of time just west of St. Louis and they are very abundant up there in the summer. Not sure how far north they range. With the warmer winters of the past decade maybe their range is moving north.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    We have his brother over here on our back porch....been here a few years now.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA