Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rain Cap? Yes or No

Options
kilo
kilo Posts: 77
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is the rain cap a necessary item to use for snuffing out the fire? I just close down the daisy wheel and it seems to go out pretty fast. I also don't feel like I get moisture into the fire box when it rains ( I just leave the daisy wheel closed). I just orderd BGE covers so that should eliminate any potential problems. I have not had any noticable problems grilling when it is raining. I have seen on this forum special caps for grilling in the rain. Is it really necessary?
Thanks for your advice!

Comments

• kilo, I do not use the raincap to snuff out the fire. When it does rain as you say very little water gets in thru the daisy wheel vents, but on a 24 hour cook in a heavy downpour a substantial amount of water would probably get in so that is where the raincap comes in handy. Peace...

• ChrisC
    ChrisC Posts: 107
    Options
    kilo,[p]While closing my daisy wheel would put the fire out I found that putting the rain cap on works even faster.[p]-ChrisC
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    kilo,
    Depending on your climate... Out in Colorado I used a "vent stack cover" from Lowes, to keep snow out of the opening. Don't need it here, where even when it rains Ms. Egg sits on a covered porch.[p]Ken

• kilo
    kilo Posts: 77
    Options
    FatBack,
    I can see that on a 24 hr. cook. Thanks for the feedback!

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    kilo,
    Rain cap seems to work a little faster. I had a problem with Miss Daisy keeping the rain out. Additional dampness just makes the lump harder to light. I got one of those stove pipe covers a couple of years ago and use it when it rains all the time. I would guess that it's not necessary wut, what the heck, a toy is a toy.