Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

how old is your egg ?

Options
egg salad
egg salad Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
As a newbie egger I was wondering how long I can expect to enjoy my large BGE

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    couple of generations if maintained properly.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    How old are you and how long do you plan on living? :unsure:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Normally I would have said "Richard, THAT was a perfect answer!"

OTOH now that "somebody" has taken over the reins of BGE, thrown Jim Nufer under the bus and me thinks Bobby-Q was given some "other deal" I have to wonder "WTF is up!" I mean...besides that I have already pointed out that they have ditched the corporate logo for some THING that doesn't even resemble a BGE! Since when does ANY size BGE have curved legs with tiny balls on the end?

If "old" is OUT and "new" is IN - I wonder if the lifetime warranty means jack sh*t!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    What happened? Did I just say the KING is naked? Horrors! Good night...
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Out with the old and in with the new. You have mail.
  • RRP
    Options
    thank you for the humor, Richard! BTW should I hire professional security seeing that I dumped on the new KING of BGE? :laugh:
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    You should be safe, I hear southerners do not like snow, especially after this past winter in Atlanta.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    As a relative newbie(just got my medium before Christmas), please don't tell me this is going to be like when MTD bought out Troybuilt. They just marketed their own sorry products under Troybuilts excellent(at the time) name. On a related subject I noticed an ad for another ceramic grill. It looked just like BGE except it was red. Not going to mention the name or publish any links on this site.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    My first Large Big Green Egg was purchased brand new in 1996. I don't know or care of any of the internal stuff/politics of the company, I just know it's a great product and it should give you many years of service. I can't even imagine how many gas grills I would have had to replace in the time that I have owned my egg. Personally, I don't care to cook outdoors on anything else!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Just my experience. I bought my first BGE early 1996 and 15 years later I have never replaced any part. I cook a couple times a week if not more. My daisy wheels are so coated with oil from cooking, there is no rust and I clean my cooking grate after every cook. I do a complete cleaning after about every 4-6 cooks. Easy maintenance and LOOOONG Life. JMHO
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    The question is not how old your Egg is. What kind of shape is your Egg, do you take care of it the right way.
  • egg salad
    egg salad Posts: 24
    Options
    Really like this site, ask a question and you will get answers to many things ! Am trying to justify buying a small with my wife. Maybe I should look for a used one ?
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    To answer your question...The BGE will outlast you. However, like Poot said, you have to maintain it. My first BGE is going on 16yrs. I have updated it and maintained it throughout the years. I now own a total of four. I have also gone through 5 SS very high end gassers back in my lazy cooking days during those same years..(and before LC..lol) Now we just plan ahead for our cooks. Good luck!
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    easy tiger....

it's only a grill. :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Buckethead
    Buckethead Posts: 285
    Options
    8 years now on the large. Cook minimum of 4 and high of 6 cooks per week depending on travel. personal note is go for the large you can do more and entertain better. Had a small, sold. Before the egg was webber for 17 years on original then 5 on my next webber before the wife purchased the egg for my birthday 8 years ago.
    Good product
    DMo