Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ho hum... Picnic again?

Options
HolySmokes
HolySmokes Posts: 446
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need a new life. The wife and kids love eating from the egg, but this is just getting too easy! Put in an 11lb picnic yesterday, injected with my own marinade, covered in a mix of DizzyDust, RagingRiver, and my own Ancho/Chipotle rub. I am lovin' those Dizzy rubz!
Guru'd overnight at 220 grid / 240 dome for a total of 23.5 hours to an internal of 195. Rested an hour to pull. Ate enough during the pull to skip lunch, and Oberto the dog did ok too.[p]before:
w050213picnic1.JPG
during:
w050213picnic2.JPG
after:
w050213picnic3.JPG[p]I didn't photo the pull, but you all know that part... YUM. There'll be some leftovers from this guy for sure![p]time for a whisky. happy Sunday evening, folks. HS

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    HolySmokes,[p]Maaaann!!![p]That is killin' me...I think I can smell that from here![p]I'm thinkin'... an "Elijah Craig 12 year old", would about finnish me off!![p]Thanks for the pics!!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    HolySmokes,
    Your picnic looks mighty mighty good. Lot's of interest in picnics on the forum so I'm gearing up for my first. I didn't know much about them because they are not popular around my neck of the woods. My butcher ordered one for me and now its sleeping in the freezer, waiting for some nice weather. I think this will be the closest thing to hog roating that I've ever done and I'm looking forward to that good old hog roast flavor! Thanks for the pictures.[p]Clay

• HolySmokes
    Options
    Clay Q,
    Good luck; you really don't need it. If I remember anything I've learned around here on th forum, it's the cut next to the butt.[p]<a href="http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~easton/index.html"&gt;
    this place</a> says clearly, "pork picnic shoulder = pork arm shoulder This comes from the lower part of the pig's shoulder. It's usually made into smoked hams, but fresh picnic shoulder makes for very juicy barbecued pulled pork"[p]I found it had more bone (that might have contributed to the 11+ lb routine, but this thing was huge). Low and slow it with your favorite rubs and/or and/and injection and you're good to go.[p]Woodoggies had a post recently (which I can't find in the archives right now) about his first picnic which was very positive, and I did this one without incident. Just like the rest of the pork... Be confident and go for it![p]Pull @ 190-200 whatever your cooking routine!
    best, HS