Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fajita's - Its what was for dinner!

Options
fiver29
fiver29 Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
sunrise.jpg
<p />First, I'd like to post a sunrise we had here this week. Who says you can't have a nice sunrise this time of year in Cleveland?[p]Here's the fajita's:[p]fajita.jpg[p]From left to right here is what is on the main plate:
Beef, chicken, charred red, green, and yellow peppers, charred sweet onion and charred green onions.[p]From left to right here are the fixins:
guacomole, diced red onion, cilantro, salsa, pale ale, mexican rice, sour cream, refried beans, and an oversized fajita on my plate.[p]This was an absolutely fabulous dinner. Below is the recipe from the Barbecue Bible by Steven Raichlen.[p]Fajitas Rub
1/4 cup paprika
3 tablespoons course salt (kosher or sea) ->I used sea
2 tablespoons pure chili powder (not a blend) ->I used chipotle. Next time I may have to use ancho because the wife was complaining it was too spicy for her.
2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons garlic powder ->I used roasted garlic powder
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon dried cilantro
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice[p]The fajitas
2 pounds skirt steak
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
2 to 3 tablespoons fajita rub
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1 bunch scallions (about 6), trimmed
1 large onion, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch slices
1 poblano chili or green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
18 small flour tortillas[p]My fixins
Basic Mexican Salsa
1 large red onion, finely diced
1 1/2 cups coursely chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 cups sour cream[p] 1. Arrange the skirt steak in a glass baking dish and toss with the oil. Sprinkle the meat on both sides with the rub, patting the spices in with your fingers. Cover and marinate the meat in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours. Add the lime juice and let marinate for 30 minutes more.[p] 2. Preheat the egg to about 400*[p] 3. Place the vegetables on the grate and grill until nicely charred, 4 to 6 minutes per side for the scallions; 6 to 8 minutes per side for the onions (16-20 minutes in all) for the chili and peppers. Arrange the onions and scallions on a large platter. Stem and seed the peppers, slice into strips, and arrange on the platter.[p] 4. Place the skirt steak and chicken on the grate and grill beef to taste, 6 to 8 minutes per side for medium. I used a thermapen until it read about 162* internal because the wife has to have it medium well. The chicken went to internal of 170*. Thinly slice the steak across the grain on the diagonal and arrange on the platter with the grilled vegetables. Same goes for the chicken.[p] 5. Warm the tortillas on the grill until soft and pliable, 10 to 20 seconds per side. Place the tortillas in a cloth-lined basket and cover to keep warm.[p] 6. Set out attractive bowls of all the fixins (like the one for my sour cream hehe)[p] 7. To serve, have each guest place slice beef/chicken and grilled vegetables on a tortilla. Spoon the salsa, diced tomatoes (which I don't like and didn't have), diced onion, cilantro, and sour cream/guacomole on top. Roll the tortilla into a neat bundle for eating.
Serves 6

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

Comments

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    fiver29,[p]looks great and sounds realy good, but i gotta ask it looks like you make a lotta fajita's and created a rub just so that you can store for later use? the other thing was this makes recipe makes 18 fajitas, is yer family that large or were there guests?

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    eggor,[p]I have plenty of leftovers. That will be tomorrow's dinner as well. And I'm storing the rub for later use. All my rubs are in the freezer. They last the longest in their I find.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]