Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to control Temp for SMOKING

Options
Ray
Ray Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am having a difficult time keeping the Temp below 300. I have the lower vent and daisy almost completely closed. Any Ideas? Has anyone found that the amount of charcoal affects temp control? It seems to me that it would strictly be an O2 issue...

Comments

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    Ray,[p]First, make sure you have no leaks between the upper and lower part. Next, I like to start closing the draft door about 10* before target temp. That way you can allow the egg to slowly get to your target temp. Its also easier to maintain lower temps when you have an indirect setup. Less airflow that way.[p]Good Luck!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Morning Ray,
    Sounds to me like you have an air leak at the gasket. Try closing Daisy Wheel & bottom vent all the way & toss on a chunck of wood. If you get any smoke through the gasket, well you know, Mabye the eggsperts will have better suggestions.
    Good luck.
    bruce

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Ray,
    for mine to hold at 250 the bottom door is open about enought to fit a credit card, the top wheel is about the same. You need to start controling the temp before it hits the mark. Everything in side the Egg like a platesetter needs to be at temp also. It takes time but will come around. Always top off your lump before long low and slow's

• StumpBaby
    Options
    Ray,[p]I think to really figure out your temp problem we need more specific info on what you're doing. As others have stated, you should always creep UP to your desired temperature, not down. Once the ceramics sit at a higher temperature for too long, it can be a real pain in the balloon knot to get it to come back down in any reasonable length of time.. takes somethin like forever. Sometimes, if I phased out and let it get too high for me, I'll throw some cold mass in there to make the temperature drop fast..like a big ol rock, or the plate settern and drip pan if it isn't in yet and they're cold enough. Also, most folks start with a full load of lump, at least half way up the fire ring or more. It won't be a waste, when you shut the egg down tight at the end, it'll go out quick and any remaining lump can be reused for the next burn.[p]StumpBaby
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    StumpBaby, Just thought you would like to know...[p]
    [ul][li]Stumptown_coffee[/ul]
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Ray,
    in general, you should be coming UP to target temps, not DOWN to them.[p]once the ceramic gets to temp, it takes a long while to lose the heat.[p]if you are gunning for 250, you should start closing the dampers at around 200, and then ease her into a landing.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante