Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

plannin a clambake

Options
eggor
eggor Posts: 777
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
and am pretty sure i can rig it on the egg, but i have a couple questions what is a "plugged live lobster"? [p]the other question, is bein from the midwest, I never did this before, just stumbled across the process in a very old cookbook and wondered how well the food turns out. so if anyone has ever been to a real clambake is it for the food or for fun?[p]if this turns out well does anyone know of a good on-line source for lobster other than the local market?TIA[p]Scott

Comments

• eggor,
    A plugged lobster has a wood pin in the claws so that it cannot bite the hand that it will feed. When done right a clam bake is heaven.Have cold beer, lots of melted butter. The key is to put the things that take longer to cook on the bottom of the pit; closest to the heat. Never done this in the egg, many times in a hole in the ground or sand. Good luck. PS Wait for fresh picked sweat corn!NJ EGG MASTER

• Midnight Smoker
    Options
    eggor,[p]Clambakes on the Egg are great....not as great as a beach on the Cape, but you can't have it all![p]Do the lobsters, clams, corn and potato indirect on the Egg with a placesetter. Use on of the disposable oval turkey pans for a cooking vessel. Put everything in and cover with a SOAKING wet terry cloth towel or a CLEAN piece of canvas.[p]Get the temp up to 350 and cook like this for .........not sure at the moment....depends on the size of the lobbies. I'll get back with times.[p]A great source, if you're not in the Boston area, to get them online is www.lobsters-online.com. In fact, we have four six pounders coming our way on Tuesday for my brides birthday. Ask them to give you a bunch of rock weed with the order and throw that over the whole bunch on goodies in the EGG.....DON"T use and chunks for smoke.....I'm a purist and don't think a clambake should taste smoked....[p]HAve fun..... Paul
    [ul][li]http://www.lobsters-online.com[/ul]
  • eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    Midnight Smoker,[p]Thanks for the tips about the terry cloth and the setup, seams like it may be a lot easier than the setup i was planning. oh, and thanks for the link. [p]Tell the bride to have a happy birthday![p]Scott