Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday Night Dinner and an Otter

Florida Grillin Girl
Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,965
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After inviting myself over so many times on a Sunday, finally I am getting a call on Saturday "Are you coming on Sunday?" That is a sorta-invite, isn't that nice!

So tonight is was mussels. No one sounded too excited about it, they never had them cooked on the egg before!

These were from Maine, always have a look at the tag.....
Saute garlic and shallots in olive oil and butta in CI..... add in 2 lbs. mussels, 2 cups white wine, a pinch of saffron, 2 Tbsp. chopped parsley, S & P. Cover and wait.

P3204244-1.jpg

10 minutes ~ yep, 10 minutes

How about some parmesan cheese on top? Don't forget the bread for dipping!

P3204246.jpg

Nothing but thumbs up and my son asked if we can stop on the way home to buy more (um, no).

I taught my niece to throw the shells in the bay! She throws underhand, good thing, she might hit the house across the way!

After that my brother threw some large steaks on and they got done real quick:

P3204252.jpg

Hunks of cow, worthy of the Poolman, even:

P3204253.jpg

Plated with squash and brussel sprouts:

P3204254.jpg

Oh, and for the animal lovers, today a baby otter was rescued off the dock and taken to the Marine Aquarium closeby. He was tiny and had no Mommy in sight. Here he is in the cat carrier ready to go off to people that will know how to take care of him/her:

P3204241-1.jpg

In 5 1/2 years of living here, I have never seen an otter in the bay!
Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini

Comments

• The tossing of the mussel shells:

P3204250.jpg

And the thumbs up after eating the mussels:

P3204247.jpg
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    YUMMEE lookin vittles.Otters appeared here about 5 years ago.They are TERROR on the fish! :angry:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Your son is broadening his tastes and you said no? :ohmy: :laugh: It all looks great and I think Richard has a recipe for otter :huh:

PS I am not worthy :P
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Faith you'd be invited every monday, tuesday wednesday thursday friday saturday & sunday if you lived closer. Your cooks are de li cious
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Hahahahaha, Richard must have about a zillion recipes, he probably has a whole chapter on Otter. ;)

Blair

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

That's a first class invitation in my book Faith. It's better then having them say "I thought you were coming for dinner last night? We missed you!" and it's the first you ever heard of it. :blink: :laugh:

Great looking meal Faith. I grew up surrounded by millions of mussels and never ate a one. I'm not to sure why either, I like clams and scallops. Weird. ;)

Blair

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Great cook Faith I never tried muscles believe it or not. :blush: Love all the pic's. Your niece is as cute as a button and I'm sure sharp as a tack. ;) I'm like you I have never heard of otters around there at all. I'm glad someone seen fit you help the neat little creature. I love to watch them in the water. Have a great work week. Cindy and I road motorcycle most of the day. Springtime is very very good to me. ;):)
  • Well, Beli, mark me down in your calendar. I would be happy to cook at your house with you and Lauren anytime!

• Blair, come on, if the disinterested teenager liked the mussels, so would you! Easy and inexpensive, $5 for 2 lbs. at Sweetbay this week.

• Tim, I am glad to hear you and Cindy are out and about on the motorcycles, not too chilly for you out there.

You are absolutely right about my niece, she is sharp, and a great eater too. She eats anything if her daddy tells her it's good. We will see what develops from that!

Weird, but otters are not normal for here, I hope that baby one gets the proper attention at the aquarium.

• Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Done. We'd be really pleased ;)
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    Faith, mussels look yummy! have to try that. we usually just steam and dip in butta, how boring. what's in the kidney shaped plate beside it, coconut shrimps? that cute otter baby is lucky, could have ended up on a dinner table i he was found somewhere else! have a great week.
    Gary
    canuckland
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Faith you live a charmed life girl ;)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gary, yes, those are coconut shrimp. I bought a box of them at Rest. Depot, and they are really very good. They are supposed to be deep fried, but I like to sautee them on CI on the egg. I serve them with a Mango Coconut Pepper sauce. Better than any I have had in a restaurant!

• Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Great looking meal! ;) Your cooks are always over the top :)
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Great job on the mussels Faith
    One of my new favourites off the Egg
    Along with everthing else :laugh: :)

Shane
  • Susan, since you are the mussel queen, I am taking that as a real compliment!

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Great looking cook, Faith!
    The first few times I tried mussels, they were not tastie, but we have come to love the ones the Bonefish Grill serves. I have been wanting to cook some and your recipe sounds similar to what they probably do..
    Question, though: how much butta and what temp on the Egg?

Definitely gonna give this a try! :woohoo:
  • Clark, I used 1/2 stick of butter. It makes alot of juice, so use less wine if you aren't going to dip into it. You should really enjoy them.

• Misippi Egger
    Thanks. Do you bring them to a boil, or just simmer?
    What dome temp?
  • Sorry, Clark. 400 dome. I dumped everything in after cooking the garlic, then put the cover on, no peeking for 10 minutes. The CI was warmed up empty inside the egg beforehand.

• Thanks, Shane. I saw your mussels, and they looked great!

• Misippi Egger
    Thanks. I'm too OCD and thus, detailed :ohmy: :laugh:
  • MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    Steaks and mussells look great. I've seen a few river otters over the years in the wild.
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Good for you! I'm sure he/she will have a better chance at making it. Take care, Randy
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Faith your supper looked great as always but you know the otter got me. Adorable. Did your family catch him or someone else? He doesn't look real happy camper to me. Had a farret for about 9 years. She was the sweetest thing. They say river otters make the next best pets. Got a pool? :laugh:
  • JL, the otter went to the aquarium, and turned out only an eye infection....and it was a teenager, dont know what that means.