Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Home Brewers Ceramic Top Beer Bottles

Options
Richard Fl
Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
edited November -1 in Off Topic
BEERBOTTLE.jpg

Have 2 cases of 20/each 1 pint Oberdorfer Weiss brown glass w/ceramic top w/FLORIDA on top. Been around about 15 years in storage. Checking Ebay I get very confused. Thinking of selling if has value or removing labels and placing BBQ sauce in them for gifts. Any help is appreciated. TIA

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    have you tasted one, not all beer ages well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    If it has beer in it, I doubt it is still that good. I don't know this with certainty, but the weissbier I can think of does not bottle age. Only a beer that bottle conditions or ages would possibly still be good, and at this point, I doubt it. As time goes by, the yeast run out of food and start to die. Eventually, the dead yeasts' cell membranes break down and this imparts off flavors.

If you are asking if the empty bottle has value, it does but it is minimal. These are the best type of bottle for homebrewing.
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    I drank them 15 years ago, just saved the bottles. Know want to know if the empty bottles with nice labels have any collectors value. Just my brandy and single malt age well.Thanks
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    It tasted good 15 years ago when I drank it. Just saved the bottles. Used to make homemade Kahlua and the bottles were used for gifts.
  • WingRider
    WingRider Posts: 326
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I suspect that they have extra value to only certain people and you would have to find that certain person to sell them to. Otherwise homebrewers do like to use bail top bottles to put homebrew in.
  • Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    I am wondering - what if you got one of them home brew kits and start making your own beer? Then, you'd have a use for the empty bottles. Is the rubber o-ring seal still good?

Of course, if this were me, I would go both routes, I think you were going to remove the labels and fill them with stufff and make gifts - that sounds like a good idea - and I'd put some of them on eBay to sell.

How many bottles you got?
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Thanks for the idea, prefer scotch or rum to beer. Beer is great for cooking. As far as Ebay, not sure how the auctions work and too old to learn.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    Those are definitely cool bottles. Selling on ebay may be a lot more hassle than it's worth. My guess is if you do find a buyer, it's someone who wants all the bottles to do something like.....put bbq sauce in them and give as gifts. Which is think is an excellent idea. I would be thrilled to receive a gift like that. So personally, I think you'll get a lot more bang for your buck if you do that yourself. Would make a great gift for family, friends, and neighbors at xmas (or any other time of year). Just make sure you tell recipients the shelf life (which I assume is use right away).

But very cool bottles and you should definitely use them!
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    I thought of something else. You don't have to put something so perishable in them as sauce. You could put a rub in them as well which would last longer.
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I have way too many spices that are already in large containers.

Just finishing placing some home made Chipotle BBQ Sauce in some plastic squeeze bottles. Perhaps the next batch will go into the beer bottles.
    Drop me your usps addy for some samples of spice mixes.