Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bernzomatic QuickFire - thoughts?

Options
Hillbilly-Hightech
Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So my GF picked up the Bernzomatic QuickFire for me because she saw me looking at them last time we were in the Big Box Hardware store...

Anyway, what are your thoughts on using it to light the Egg? Pros/Cons?

I like the compact design, there doesn't seem to be an issue w/ holding it at an angle or upside down - the only thing I can see is that because the torch end is short, it puts your hand close to the lump - do you guys who use torches to light your lump think this will be an issue - I mean, are there sparks that occur, etc?

Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.bernzomatic.com/quickfire-hand-torch.aspx
Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Lots of sparks, sometimes. I would be a little nervous of the new model. The other one in the ad is the one I have two of. They are just a proven unit and have pretty well gotten the bugs worked out. I hold it from the bottom of the long slender canister. Maybe just keep the receipt and if it craps out on you then you can get the other one.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I would get a traditional head rather then the QuickFire.

Sparks, oh yes, buy a couple of extra shirts/coats or whatever you wear out lighting the egg. Hence, I and now starting with oil and paper towel and or alcohol. I do use a torch as a kicker if the light doesn't go as fast as I like.

Go to the bernzomatic, their FAQ page and read about the heads burning inverted. Because of something built into certain heads propane will burn inverted. MAPP will burn inverted on most heads if not all. MAPP is 30% hotter than propane. If the head will burn inverted with propane, propane lights the lump just fine.

A last comment... Although I don't use Propane/MAPP very much in lighting I do keep one out by the egg just in case.

my 2¢

GG
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i use the old style mapp torch.. there are sparks and depending on the brand and dampness of your lump there may be a lot and some aggressive ones.. they will not do serious damage to your hands BUT eye protection is a MUST caps [hollering] and bold intended.
    be safe
    bill
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Options
    If you have to hold the "trigger" to get it to burn, your hand will be awful close to a lot of sparks.

Bill
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Not made for close range in charcoal.
  • Smokin' not stirred
    Options
    I looked at those, but I was afraid they would stop making the canisters in the future. I don't think the regular MAPP/Propane cans will fit on the gun.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Sparks?? Yes, there are sparks! I use a Bernz-0-Matic torch model that has a 5ft hose between the torch and tank and I love it, but it does create a lot of sparks, especially with new lump. From the dust, I think. I always try to put some used lump on top to minimize the sparking and I always, always, wear my heavy leather glove on my torch hand.
    Other than that, I don't see a problem other that a lot less gas capacity and maybe a higher cost for refills for that model. :)
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    OK, thank you all for the advice & comments.

I think I'll do what Adam (Ripnem) suggested & keep the receipt & try it out - and if it doesn't work out for me, then just return it (thing is, it's been very rainy this weekend in the Bay Area, so no Egging for this weekend :( )

Anyway, once I get to try it out, I'll post back to the forum my experience & give it a thumbs up or down.

Again, thanks for the comments!!!
    Rob
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee