Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ONO ONO Teriyaki Chicken Thighs!

Da Kine Green BBQ
Da Kine Green BBQ Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally made da kine shoyu chicken last weekend. I will post the recipe shortly. Once you tried this home made version of Hawaiian Teriyaki, you won't be able to order it at a restaurant.

(ONO ONO means - VERY delicious.)

Simple marinade, the ingredients look like this . . . .

e350e31a.jpg

I decided I wanted to try trimming the thighs "competition style" as per the demo at the So Cal Eggfest last year. I need more practice, but this is what I did. It took a loooong time to do this, but there is a lot of un-needed fat that you can throw away.

Thighs from the supermarket had this weird flap of extra skin. Yeah, I do love eating that stuff, but I decided to trim it off.

e8702a3f.jpg

After trimming the excess, pull the skin away from the meat. If dis process boda you, den think of this as a biology lab session, and it will make you feel a little better. All this surgery is not for the faint of heart - and stomach.

98ec65e5.jpg

I used a spoon to scrape the fat from the inside surface of the skin.

bf147648.jpg

cfa59616.jpg

Once the excess is scraped off, stretch and wrap the skin back on the thigh meat. I removed about a tablespoon or so of this excess stuff from each thigh. This is what it looked like. The demo dude made his thighs look like little pillows, almost like a perfect, puffy rounded rectangle. Amazing.

9de9668d.jpg

Whew. On to the cooking!!

The marinade has a lot of sugar, so indirect grilling is used to prevent nasty flare-ups. (Platesetter legs up, under the grill.)

1333e69d.jpg

Isn't the color amazing? Cook until the safety zone is reached, about 170 degrees.

2c3a3da7.jpg

Ready to eat. I had some relatives over, and we were all starving, so no fancy plating here. We just scarfed them up! ONO ONO!

815dfe8b.jpg

Comments

• Those look great!! Enjoyed the picture prep lesson on the thighs.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

That sure is pretty!

GG
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Good lookin' Grindz there! B)

Thanks for the trimming lesson on the thighs...always wondered how they made them so pretty.
  • Oh Yeah, bruddah! Aloha.
  • Hi GG -
    Thanks for the compliment. I enjoy your posts, so it's nice to get that feedback from an eggs-perienced person like you.... I was thinking - you know how folks brown chicken and turkey skin by rubbing butter or oil on it? I wonder what a tad of soy sauce added to the butter or oil would do?

Sounds like a tasty experiment is needed!!!
  • Sophie -
    Yes... this was my fisrt time at trimming thighs. Lots of work, maybe too much, not really sure if I will do this on a regular basis...

Have you posted pictures of your cooks yet?

Aloha,
    wayne
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    That looks really yummy. I'm a big fan of sesame oil as it adds a hidden taste that often goes unidentifiable yet aromatic and flavorful.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Good pictures and good food = good time by all....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Grandpas Grub

Well deserved kudo's.

Guessing the soy sauce would/should add a deeper color, as for taste, soy is very good on chicken. The soy & butter idea would be interesting indeed. I would have to think someone around here has tried it.

I have done soy and orange concentrate, soy and pineapple concentrate both are good. I marinate those in a vacuum tumbler for about 20 minutes.

GG
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    May I ask how to make the marinade? Like a general recipe?

How long was the marinade, and did you baste during the cook with the marinade?

I'm rather inexperienced, and would love to try this. Looks delicious.

Thanks for your time, and the cook looks awesome! :)
  • Nice thighs - use any smoking wood?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I'd like the recipe as well. Looks very ono ono. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Great looking meal. Notice that your plate setter is heavily encrusted in drippings. I like to wrap mine in HDAF and after a few cooks replace it. This keeps the drippings from previous cooks from smelling up my present cook. Just a thought. Looking forward to the recipe.

I like to do duck thighs and breasts with an oriental flair. Will try chicken next time.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=596159&catid=1
  • That sounds good,too,Kent :)
  • Picture Perfect!
    You should hit the Hilo BBQ comp this summer;)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Thighs look great! Looking forward to the recipe.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • KMO_Q
    KMO_Q Posts: 150
    They look great! Thanks for the post ;)
  • Grandpas Grub

samoanchick.jpg

This is on of the several soy & 'fruit concentrate' that I have used. I am thinking this is soy and orange.

There is nothing exacting about the marinade mixture or the process. Sort of a 'seat of the pants effort' as it is pretty hard to mess up chicken. I use about 4 oz of soy and a small can of concentrate and with about 4 to 6 oz of water. I want the mixture 'wet'.

Sometimes I do baste and others I don't. If the cook temperature is higher then I will baste, if lower temperature I usually don't baste other than maybe 1 time towards the end of the cook.

I cook the chicken to 165° - 170°.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

Hi Keri,

It takes some work not to get good tasting chicken out of the egg.

Here is another marinade I am trying to get to work. I couldn't get all the ingredients or any proportions but the end result I have tasted is one of the best chicken cooks I have ever tasted.

I have found a couple of recipes online but nothing comes out like what I tasted.

Aloha Shoyu sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, sprite or 7up.

Cut up chicken breasts are marinated for 12 hours then cooked. The family covers their kingsford briquette cooker with aluminum foil. Brest pieces on the foil and marinaded when cooking. These are cooked to a 'well done' it seems like more than 165° as the texture is a little dry. The pieces are placed over rice then the heated marinade is put over the chicken and drips into the rice. That is where the magic happens.

I am not sure if there is a batch marinade that is made for the cook and plating or if they use the marinade that was used in the chicken.

Anyway that's all I know about it for now other than I could eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I could afford what they charge for a plate of this stuff.

I am still doing a lot of pepper cooking. Hope you and the crew are doing well. Kent
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    WOW...
    great cook...
    nice and very tough job of trimming them...
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Those look gorgeous and I bet tasted great. I too would like the recipe. Love the picture tutorial on cleaning up the thighs. Are you cooking at the So.Cal. fess this year? I'm bummed we won't be able to make it.
  • Hi Teresa -
    Recipe to post in a few minutes.

No, not able to go to "our" Eggfest this year - and I wanted to be a "cooker" too. I am going to another event called Maker Faire - it is a nerdy technology atsy-craftsy event and demo. They call it a "DIY Festival" -

Go here to see:

http://makerfaire.com/

Cheers,
    wayne
  • Hi Rich -

Yeah, my Platesetter looks so cruddy it is embarrassing. However, I do burn off the old stuff when I am finished cooking. I usually put a drip pan on, but it is already too far gone.

Thanks for the comment!
  • Frank -
    No smoker chips on this recipe - there's lots of flavor from the ginger, and I dont eant to over-power it from smoke. In fact, I have noticed Royal Oak lump has a nice "soft" tasting smoke flavor. I bought a giant sack of Mesquite from Mexico last summer, and noticed it was pretty strong.

I prefer the oak lumps for chicken and fish and pork, but do save the mesquite for beef.

Let me know if you make this, and what smoke chips you use. I'd like to know.

Thanks again.

Recipe will post later tonight.
  • Hi there -

This recipe is really easy - marinate over-night in the fridge. Most all of the things I marinate is in for overnight.

Be careful when marinating fish, though - it can become rubbery. I think 15 minutes to half hour on fish is what is recommedned, although I usually - just grill fish.

Will post the recipe in the Recipe section tonight.

Good luck with cooking on your BGE - and post pictures of what you are doing!
  • GG -

That's a good point on basting - for this dish, I don't need to baste, these thighs and that marinade are "wet" enough. I suppose if you are doing breasts, that might require some mopping.

I like thighs because they are nice and compact, and are kinda cheap, so I can make enough grub for a crowd!