Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jack Daniel's Chips

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I picked up a bag of Jack Daniel's barrel chips. Has anyone used them before? What are they good with? I think I'll try them on a steak or pork chops.[p]They're pretty strong smelling. I wonder what would happen if I drank the water I soak them in? :)

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]I love the JD chips, they do smell great! I've used them with steals, burgers, Chicken and salmon. All heve turned out great. Just another idea for you. "Burbon Marinade", I mixed 1/3 burbon, 1/3 light brown sugar and 1/3 light soy sause. It really is great on fish and chicken![p]Smokey[p]
  • Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    Options
    Smokey,[p]I've also tried that same marinade on pork -- FANTASTIC!!![p]B~F

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]I picked up up a bag of JD barrel chips while visiting my son in Chicago a couple of weeks ago and used them for the first time last Sunday. They sure do smell strong and I was also tempted to drink the water I soaked them. In use, however, they didn't seem to add much flavor to the chicken breasts I used them on - I was disappointed. Will be doing additional experimentation and blending with other woods. BTW, the JD chips were free (2 lbs) when I bought a big bottle of Canadian Club and a case any Miller beer at a Jewel/Osco supermarket. I just couldn't pass up an offer like that. hehehe[p]K~G[p]
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    Apparently this was the weekend for JD Chips. While at a Wal-Mart on Monday, a bag of JD Chips found its way into my cart. I neither care how nor why they ended up there, but it seems like a good thing to me.[p]I have yet to try them. However, since this will be my last egg meal prior to vacation, I will use some JD Chips to freshen up the smoke on some Linguisa sausage.[p]Happy Smoking,
    RhumAndJerk

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    I use them a lot, usually a couple of fistfuls soaked at least 3 hours. They work best on fires below about 300F. Put them on the coals just before you put the meat on. Otherwise they will just go the way of all good smoke.
    JimW

• Chief
    Chief Posts: 154
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]Now turn the bag around and look at the recipe for JD glaze...try that on pork.....you bet..then put it over ice..you betcha
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    BluesnBBQ:[p]They are my favorite with ribs and pulled pork. I expose burning lump and place 1 to 1 1/2 cups of dry chips for a 200* smoking delight. I have also done chicken as well but to me, it really shines with pork . . .

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Smokey,
    Nice marinade. I wish that I would have thought of it.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    JJ, ya rascal..you did think of it already. That one is remarkably similar to the one you posted back in "98". I wonder where they located it as I been hunting for it since I made that 60 year old Kentucky Bourbon rib sauce. Ooooooowaaaahhh. That was good stuff!! Send me your recipe e.mail if ya would..Thanks...
    Char-Woody
    Post it in the recipe archives so we can keep it in historical reserve's.[p]