Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CornigWare in BGE

Options
PulledPork
PulledPork Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can you use corningware indirect?

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    No reason you couldn't as long as cooking indirect and keeping the heat below 400 degrees or so if it is a piece intended for use in an oven, I would think you would be fine. They're website says not to use it with a open flame so I've reduced my original degree recommendation.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning PulledPork:

Yes, but would recommend indirect...I do it quite often...here are some onions being done...
    S021811-02.jpg

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I don't know the details, hopefully some folks with more info than me will chime in, but I do know that Corning Ware is not what it used to be. I think the trademark was sold maybe? Anyway, The new stuff is made overseas and is not nearly as good a product as our mothers used, so be careful ;)
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hi PulledPork

"Care must be made to distinguish between CorningWare patterns for cookware made of Pyroceram and patterns for tableware marketed under the Corelle brand name by Corning. Making things difficult is the fact that CorningWare patterns were also used for Corelle tableware."

Full article HERE.

Blair

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    OK, but what's the difference between, say 350* in the oven and 350* indirect in the BGE?

If it works safely in one it should work safely in the other.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,764
    Options
    does corning ware even need to be used inderect, says stove top
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    Options
    ive used this one, always inderect but not sure it even makes a difference.
    its old as far as i know :laugh: i put a space between it and the indirect setup

4d5963f9.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I would guess that piece is at least thirty years old because I remember my Grandmother having the same blue floral design on hers.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    im thinking even older but i cant remember if its from my grandmother or her sister. what surprises me most is that it still looks new
    fukahwee maine

• nuynai
    nuynai Posts: 101
    Options
    FYI- Corning Ware in NYS sold this name and production rights to China. The old stuff was rock solid but now the new things from China have been known to shatter or explode, due to inferior production techniques when used in microwaves, ovens etc. Just be careful with using the new items.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

I agree, I think the article is just pointing out that not all of the pieces of many patterns are for stove/oven use, as I understand it. Is all the dinnerware rated for the stove/oven?

B;air

• JBUG99999
    JBUG99999 Posts: 263
    Options
    I believe Corning Ware intended for the oven is safe. HOWEVER, Pyrex is not.

(Trust me, Pyrex does not hold up for use with the Egg. Don't ask me how I know!)