Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New egg broken daisy wheel

Options
PulledPork
PulledPork Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put together my new egg and the first time I open it the top falls off and breaks. Really burns my A$@. Only the part holding the SS handle broke so it is still usable, but still hurts.

Comments

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Similar thing happened to me. I used JB Weld to fix it and have had no problems. Try keeping the screw/bolt aligned with the thermometer..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
  • Primeggister1
    Options
    Same thing happened to my brothers. I Saw some pics on here where a member used leftover gasket to make the daisy wheel a tighter fit. The gasket was stuck to the chimney portion of the egg and made the daisy wheel not fall off. Sometimes it is just because it swings open fast and the whole thing falls off. Try facing the big green egg writing to one side so it stays in one spot.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    sorry, man, but iffin you would have read even a few posts here that would never have happened.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Options
    Don't ya love it. As much as we pay for these things and they can't design it where the freaking daisy wheel will stay on OR hold its position when you open the top. You shouldn't have to read about how to keep an essential part of you grill from falling off and breaking the first time you use it.

Bill
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,758
    Options
    go to the naked whiz site and read the daisy tutorial, all you need to do is put the swing screw toward the front and the daisy wont fall off and the settings wont change when you open the egg. he goes into it with a little more detail, schematics and everything :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • outrageous
    outrageous Posts: 803
    Options
    like others said... line the screw up to the front and it will not fall off.... i picked up a older small and had to use the medium daisey which was way too big... i put gasket inside the daisey and now it fits snug.. enjoy your new egg....

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    pjoe wrote:
    Don't ya love it. As much as we pay for these things and they can't design it where the freaking daisy wheel will stay on OR hold its position when you open the top. You shouldn't have to read about how to keep an essential part of you grill from falling off and breaking the first time you use it.

Bill

Lots of things don't work well when you do not read/follow directions. I have had an Egg for 5 years (relative newbie) and mine has never fallen off.
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    Pat's right, JB weld will work on the metal and also for the egg ceramics, just don't use it on a cooking surface the food would come into contact with.Try it- you'll do fine. Good luck, Randy
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Just so you'll know, it's not all that critical a part. I never use mine unless I'm cooking at 250°. Otherwise, lower vent only.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    Options
    Aren't you lucky! And you read and followed the instructions and everything!
    I did all that and mine fell off. Sucks to be me I guess.
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING