Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking AFTER pulling?

Deckhand
Deckhand Posts: 318
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Want to add more smoke flavor to pulled pork. (Ran a search and read the suggestions for distribution of chunks throughout the lump...which I do... and for using liquid smoke... which I have also done) Was wondering ... What if I put the pulled pork (on a plate or in a basket) back in the Egg for a few minutes AFTER it was pulled? Would have to be careful not to dry the meat but seems like it might work? Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Well....
    More smoke flavor on a pulled pork?

My first thought is more smoke-wood during the cook, but it sounds as though you have already done that.

Next thought is: Use a stronger, more pungent smoke-wood during the cook.

Third thought is: Do a marinade of the butt (this would / could be a bit hard because of the size) in a bourbon whiskey mixture. Some type of salt will be needed here too, to better move the flavor.

Last thought is: Use a good quality liquid smoke in the wetting sauce.

I don't think I would pull and then put it back for more smoke, just for fear of drying the meat out too much.
    My 2-1/2 cents.
  • I'm not sure I'd want to put the pulled pork back on for more smoke afterwards. I think the obvious first suggestion is to add more chunks to your lump. I know a lot of people like to put their butts on after keeping them at room temperature for a while, but if you put them on straight from the fridge it'll take longer to cook and in your case, give the butts more time to take on smoke flavor. You could also add hickory smoked salts to your rub or dissolve them into an injection that could give you smokey flavor from the inside as well. You could cold smoke your butt beforehand, then smoke it later in the day. Or, you could get The Smoking Gun from Polyscience for $89.
  • I went thru the same thought process. Now what I do is cut each butt in half thickness-wise following the seam of fat. This gives a lot more surface area to the smoke and heat for more flavor and bark. It also seems to render the fat a little better. Any more smoke flavor than that usually means either a little mesquite in the wood mix, I usually use hickory for pork, and/or liquid smoke. I always use Carnivore Sauce in with the pulled pork...mmmmmmmmmm B);)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    mixing different smoking wood gives a more rounded taste. i use a mix of mostly black cherry, a little less hickory, and if i want the smoke to really show thru a small amount of mesquite, a really small amount of mesquite ;) try a shorter cook with some ribs and see how the mix goes, i dont use alot, i just mix it up. always hated mesquite anything til i started just using hints of it in the smoke
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I smoke again after pulling and saucing with my pulled beef recipe. Defiantly adds more flavor. I use a Dutch oven with the lid off.
    Man I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. :blink:
  • Deckhand
    How long do you smoke the pulled pork in the Dutch Oven? Do you add any sauce at that time?
  • Deckhand
    Just re-read your comment... missed the part about saucing first... will probably try that with a little Blues Hog Tennessee Red.