Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mama Mary's pizza dough

Options
Tailgate
Tailgate Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Noticed at local HEB grocery. We've been using P ills bury in the can. Haven't tried making our own. Are there any significant differences? Thx :huh:

Comments

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    You should try making your own and see what you think. This is a recipe I've been using for years with some slight variations. I use a mixer with a dough blade to knead the dough. This was posted by QBabe, circa 2005.

Well, it took a while for me to get it all written up, but here is Mr. Hyde's Pizza Recipe for those who asked....

For the Dough...
    1 pkg. active dry yeast (NOT the Rapid Rise kind)
    1 tsp sugar
    1 1/4 cups warm water (105° - 115°)
    3 1/3 cups high gluten flour (King Arthurs)
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    3 tsp extra virgin olive oil

In a 2-cup measuring cup, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until foamy, maybe 3-5 minutes. Using a food processor with the dough blade attached, add flour, salt and 2 tsp olive oil to the bowl. Using the dough setting, pour the yeast liquid through the feed tube as fast as the flour will absorb it. Process until the dough cleans the sides of the bowl and forms a ball. Continue to process about 30 more seconds to knead the dough. Put a little olive oil on your hands and lift the dough out. Coat the dough with the remaining 1 tsp olive oil, transfer to a large Ziploc bag and seal bag. Let rise in a warm place for about an hour. Punch dough down and let rise a second time (another hour). When ready, put a little olive oil on your hands and remove dough from Ziploc bag. Cut into two pieces and form into 2 dough balls. Place dough balls on an oiled cookie sheet and flatten into 2 discs (about 1” thick). Let proof uncovered in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours or overnight. Makes two 14” pizzas. Meanwhile, prepare toppings for pizzas.
  • Tailgate
    Tailgate Posts: 56
    Options
    Gracias.. Will try. Tonight's pazzas were great, but I don't. Want o settle for the storebought
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Many pizza joints will sell you a ball of their dough and many supermarkets/bakerys make and sell it also, shop around :)
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    for what it's worth - there is really no need to bloom the yeast in the warm sugar water. Years ago that was (maybe) necessary, but not any longer.

You don't even need sugar - the yeast eats flour just as readily. Sugar will be your enemy if you are doing higher heat pizzas.

Tailgate - please try making your own dough. There are so many recipes that don't even need a mixer of any sort. Reinhart has one that I'm tempted to try HERE.

And you'll end up getting hooked, so when you do, do yourself a favor and buy a scale. Great pizza dough really needs a level or precision that you can't get with measuring cups. Unless you're zippy. He can look at a bag of flour and turn out the best pies on earth.
  • Hoosier
    Hoosier Posts: 107
    Options
    I'm always looking for new/different dough recipes and I like that one. Thanks for posting the link...i'm going to give it a shot
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I have never made Reinhart's pizza dough, but I make chibatta just with hand mixing and it works great.

I have a Kitchen Aid that I use most of the time, but Reinhart's recipes designed for a slow rise in the refrigerator are fun to make and excellent quality.