Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen

Options
NoleC5
NoleC5 Posts: 176
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have any tips on taking the thermapen apart? Mine stopped working out of no where and I have a big day of grilling planned for tomorrow. :-(

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    not being a smarty*ss here but are you willing to blow the chance of free repair/or possible free replacement by opening it up? Is it an old model or a new water proof model? Are you the technical type that can test and repair these?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NoleC5
    Options
    Nope, not technical. Started to try and take it apart but wasnt going so well. I read a post where someone took it apart and let it air dry...I don't think mine got wet but was going to give this a try. It's an older one, about two ears old now. I don't think its a waterproof one.
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
  • NoleC5
    Options
    That's what my hope was but got a new batt today and tried it when I got home from work....no dice
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    IMG_2130.jpg
    The older style is on top. The newer waterproof model probably is sealed and I sure wouldn't risk messing it up if I were you. The folks at Thermoworks are wonderful to work with, but a botched repair job probably wouldn't cut the mustard for free repair.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    In a pinch you could get a cheap one and check it in boiling water keep in mind if it's off and use it until ThermoWorks fixes your. :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Opening and simple air dry probably won't work...

best option is to call Amber at Thermoworks, she may well tell you to take it apart, and again she may not.

If you are bound to try and repair it I can help you get it apart and some help in cleaning, drying. AIt isn't all that hard to take apart and clean. Reassembly is just he opposite of taking it apart.

If you need help let me know and email your email address. You can email me via the forum. I have some calibration instructions from thermoworks once you get it back and running.

GG
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    If you are so inclined, the screws you need to remove are under the sticker/label on the back. There is also one in the pivot point of the probe.

Inside is nothing more than a small circuit board and the LED display.

If yours has gotten wet, the circuit board is likely corroded - looks like baby powder on mostly where the parts are soldered to the board. You can clean them using q-tips that are slightly damp with rubbing alcohol.

It really isn't all that hard to take it apart and clean in. Your problem could be as simple as the LED has unplugged from the boar - or it could be toast.

If you want to give me a ring tomorrow morning I'll be glad to help.
  • NoleC5
    Options
    Man....you guys are awesome!

I just got done prepping chicken breast, hamburgers and two pork tenderloins for tomorrow. And got the egg all setup with fresh lump. Can't wait.

Thank you! Rod...you're instructions were perfect! Took it apart but there doesn't appear to be any signs of corrosion or moisture. Think I'm just going to run to Lowes in the morning and get a cheapo one to get through tomorrow. If I was just cooking for me and the wife, I wouldn't even worry about it.