Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My new Cookin' toy

Options
PCFisher66
PCFisher66 Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I finally broke down and bought an XL. After building the table I thought, now how am I going to get it to the back yard?? I had to hook it up to my tractor and pull it around (went easy enough). After doing that I took my old gasser down the street and gave it to a neighbor. Nothing like taking your grill out for a walk.
EGG.jpg
Tod

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Looks great...and I hate to say it but it would help if there was airflow in between the pavers & the XL... :(
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    interesting comment. I have an xl set up the same way.. I thought feet were not needed nor recommended?
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• vidalia1
    Options
    A lot of heat comes out the bottom of a BGE...airflow helps reduce it. I have my large on two pavers and have BGE feet in between the pavers and the BGE.....just overly cautious I guess. :)
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Steve,

I saw your follow up pecan post. If you want to contact me offline I will give you my address and you can send me a self addressed/pre paid USPS box and I will ship it back with pecan. Let me know.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    just to throw a wrench into it...
    BGE says "no feet" with the XL.

thy haven't said why (strength issue?), just that th feet are not intended to be used with the XL
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • vidalia1
    Options
    Not sure why either but if I had an XL (which I don't :( ) I would probably put copper T's or something else under it for airflow, unless BGE can explain why it isn't necessary.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Pretty fancy table there. Congratulations and have fun cooking.

GG
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I think I would be inclined to use spaced split firebricks to replace the upper paver

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Weekend Warrior
    Options
    Excerpted from an old email:

"It's a sound approach, but the reasoning is flawed. The feet can handle an awful lot of compression. The feet crushing under the weight isn't an issue, nor is the chance that the bottom of the egg would crush locally (where the feet are).

The issue for BGE is very likely the fact that the bottom of the XL is so wide, that it is virtually spanning the distance. Sure, the large is "spanning" from foot to foot too, but not so much that it's a concern.

Ceramic (and concrete) have virtually NO value to resist bending, or to span anything. In fact, whenever you see concrete spans used in highway design, it is the unseen steel reinforcing which takes ALL of the tension and bending stress (except for the compression). So, yeah, a rock, or concrete, or ceramic can span a little, but they very quickly lose any ability to span anything wider than maybe 6 to 9 times their thickness. You can reinforce it with glass fibers but essentially, it's almost taken as a given to dismiss any tensile strength or bending resistance for concrete, ceramic, cast stone, etc.

And when something is heated, it loses strength even further. So, I'm guessing that the BGE folks have found that a very hot bottom trying to span that distance is more likely to crack than one sitting flat on the ground.

It is said that concrete fails "spectacularly', meaning it happens instantly and without any real notice (bending, sagging). It just pops. Steel will sag, band, and bounce back. Concrete cracks and crumbles.

Better for BGE to have the XL sit flat than to risk developing a crack across the bottom." - stike

edit: For more, read: http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=920499&catid=1
  • PCFisher66
    Options
    The dealer said no the the feet also, just the paver.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    that was a guess...

i think the OP was saying the feet would crush. nah. my guess is it's more likely it has to do with cracking of the base.

by the way, your penchant for remembering things i say borders on stalking. i don't mind alaskanC stalking me, but you are not nearly as attractive as she. to me, i mean. rod, however, finds you quite dashing.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Maybe a stupid idea but why not raise the paver off of the wood rather than the egg of the paver? I've seen pictures of the burnt tables when an egg was right on top of the paver and that is concerning (to me at least)....

You could probably just spread some 1/2" galvanized nuts or something in 8 or so places below the paver so it distributes weight evenly...
  • Weekend Warrior
    Options
    It's not just things you say, it's things everyone says. :P Just can't help it. :blink: Don't take it personally. :laugh:

Rod does have good taste. :laugh:
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    Very nice table, looks good. The dealer set up my XL and table with just the stone and told me XL didn't come with or need feet. That was two years ago. Hope he's right. IMHO, having an air gap between the stone and table makes sense. In recent conversations with my dealer, he claims he's never had a heat issue with the XL stone sitting on the table. Claims he's been in business seven years.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • PCFisher66
    Options
    I built the table with extra support under the Egg. If it last a few years that will be fine, by that time I'll want to build another one :)
  • Brazilian_Egg
    Options
    Make sure you have enough room on the sides, between the egg and the table. Can't really tell from your picture but it looks mighty close. Folks here have posted pictures of tables that caught fire because the egg did not have enough room.
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    That's the ticket
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    That's a really beautiful table. I love the dark colors. Scott