Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Makin' Bacon: Welcom to Hormel

stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Blocked at work....darn it.... :angry: :S :)B)
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    sweet mercy that looks delicious.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    not so sure. :laugh:

notice they inject the brine? that's still done today. brine is mostly water, and that's why mass produced bacon like that will sputter and spit while cooking, and shrink considerably. it also means whatever water is in th pork is almost pure prifit when sold at a few bucks a pound.

more traditionally cured bacon will be firmer, shrink far less, and generally be a little thicker. it also can be a bit chewier, which catches peiople by surprise some time.

but it's far better i think.
    good stuff.

13_Savory_Bacon_Hot-Smoked.jpg

belly_bacon_04.jpg

14_Sweet_Bacon_Sliced.jpg

racked.jpg

plate.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    How viewpoints change in 45years...... The narrator brags about automation, mechanization, etc.
    Now buzzwords include sustainability, organic, hand-cut, etc
  • And yet, beneath the marketing mumbojumbo of "sustainability, organic, hand-cut" etc. lies the same automation and mechanization. "All Natural" and "Artisan" may sound pretty, but if they're printed on a label, odds are they don't mean jack. For some amusing reason, I respect the blatant food processors more than the ones who pass processed food off as something it isn't. I'll stop eating velveeta the day they claim it's "organic".

Bacon looks good, stike. I'm still working my way through the seven pounds I made earlier this year. And the bacon wasn't nearly as chewy, when I cut it the right way. ;)
  • This movie is going to become a Christmas tradition for my family.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    AMEN....99% B.S. B)
  • Bacchus wrote:
    How viewpoints change in 45years...... The narrator brags about automation, mechanization, etc.
    Now buzzwords include sustainability, organic, hand-cut, etc

Ah 45 years ago 95% of all meat was raised organic. The other 5% was in the labs so we could have the crap we have now. Now they are going to be able to use genetically engineered Alfalfa.

Maybe his hair won't stick up and he will be able to get Darcy. :laugh: