Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracks

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I purchased my komado in 1978 from a dealer in San Antonio, Texas. It has worked perfectly all this time, although some of the internal vents look like they may be clogged, and the lower sliding vent no longer slides. I would guess that we have used it an average of once a week so it has produced well over a thousand great meals for us.[p]Last month, we moved up to Wisconsin, and when by komado was uncreated, there was a large crack in it that runs from the lower vent diagonally up toward (but not reaching) the upper rim.[p]My question is this: Given its age and the use it has had, should I try to disassemble the unit, clean it all out, and repair the crack, or should I just replace it? And, if I keep it, what should I use to fix the crack?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Bill Petersen, "JJ" (Jack Gocek) will be along shortly and in the meantime take a look at his old time original kamado on his profile photo in visitors profile. He uses a cement and it does very well for him.[p]Cheers..C~W[p]

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Options
    Bill Petersen,
    Puchased my first egg in about "85", cook on it for about 10 year's when it finally broke, overheating, glued it back together but it broke again. I was a bit relutant to pay the price of a new one but with the life time warrenty against overheating breakage I bit the bullet. With not having to worry about temp. it open's up a whole new world.
    My advice would be try and glue it, but go ahead and buy the new egg for broadened horizon's.
    Mark

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Q%20setup.jpg
    <p />Bill Petersen,
    Ducco makes a high temp 2 part epoxy that will hold it together just fine. Been holding like this for almost 10 years. Besides it gives it charactor.

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    JJ,[p]It will NEVER have as much character as you though :~)