Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Mini BGE questions

Sparky
Sparky Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone give me any tips on using my new Mini BGE.
I have a large BGE but I cook indirect 90% of the time.
I tried the Mini last nite with some chicken and what I
did to that poor chicken should be a crime.
The wife says she still liked it but it was substandard.

How much can be cooked on a mini?
How much lump should go in it?
What should the coals look like when it's time to cook?

Comments

• cowboygillers.jpg
    <p />Sparky,[p]It depends on what you are wanting cook. I was having a hard time getting Ms. Short up to temp for searing steaks. I didn't use enough lump, next try it was rip roaring fire, and they turned out great.
    Ms. Short resides at the wash and cooks burgers, chicken, and other lunches. Usually around the 400 range.[p]Here is a pic of cowboy grillers on Ms. Short. Could have gotten another one on there. 2 KC strips or 4 filets for steaks.[p]CWM

• Sparky,[p]Wait til the lump is burning like a pile of lava. The temp. will probably be close to 700 degrees. No worries. Shut the vents and the temp. will drop to the 400 range in ten minutes or so. This is when I start to use the mini. Open the borttom vent to about 1/16th of an inch and the top daisy wheel to where you can just see a gap. This will stabilize the temp. and give you ideal grilling temp. [p]I don't use the mini for anything else but grilling. The one thing I've learned is that if you don't get an even burn on the lump, you will end up with "burn" spots on the meat due to hot spots. [p]Good luck and happy cookin'[p]Mac
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Mac in NC ,
    With the smaller amount of lump closer to the grill, having a fairly uniform bed of coals is vital. When I fire Eggbert up, I alway stir the coals before letting him come back to temp.[p]Ken